114 • Painless

The guns fell with a clatter.

Panting, Harui kept a steady grip on the stolen gun, pressing it to the boy's forehead, the same bastard who dared to aim a fucking gun at Mirai. Blood dripped from the bastard's arm, as well as the boy beside him.

"Scram." 

Harui never knew his voice could sound so cold even to his ears. He had always made it a point to sound polite. He even practiced smiling and talking in front of the mirror because he wanted people to let their guard down with his faux politeness. 

But right now, Harui dug the gun deeper against the bastard's forehead. People who killed others because they didn't have any regard for the lives of others made him sick, more so since he was like that. Reina, at the very least, lived with unperishable guilt due to the blood on her hands. But Harui lived without a single care, and that was why he despised people who were like him.

"Dammit! Let's get outta here!" Turning around with their tails between their legs, the boys began to run away, the injured ones with more difficulty as none of them wanted to help each other. Harui would've chased them if possible, but there was no point anyway. He knew Reina would have everything taken care of come morning, or maybe even by midnight.

Adjusting his jacket, Harui turned around to see Mirai on the ground, clutching her chest as tears began to fall from her eyes. "Mirai, are you—"

"No, no, no, no! Marseille! Marseille!" The snake in her arms was limp with a fucking bullet sticking out of his body. "Rui-nii, what should I do? He took the bullet! He took the bullet for me, I—what should I do? Where's Akise? Akise! Akise!"

"Mirai." Crouching in front of her, Harui gently pulled her to his chest. "I'm sorry...I'm sorry but...but Akise can't help Marseille."

゚❁.。.:*✧・゚: *✧・゚:*卍*:・゚✧*:・゚✧*.:。❁

Her palms met the table with a bang as she abruptly stood up. Slapping a hand over her mouth, Reina retched, acidic bile rising in her throat. Her stomach twisted, feeling like it wanted to melt down her entire body as cold sweat began to dampen her shirt.

Something was wrong. Something was very fucking wrong.

"Reina!" As if fate was laughing at her face, the door slammed open to reveal a very disheveled Kakucho who looked to be on the verge of tears. That wasn't the face of someone who was devastated. That was the face of someone who just had their worst fear come true. "I...I got news from Rokuhara Tandai."

Really, what did she do for fate to be so cruel?

゚❁.。.:*✧・゚: *✧・゚:*卍*:・゚✧*:・゚✧*.:。❁

"Mirai, listen to me." Pulling her off his chest, he gripped her shoulder, forcing her to stay grounded despite her wails. "I know it's hard to let go of Marseille, but I need you to listen to me. Please."

Takemichi didn't know what to do. He didn't see any of the Hokusei siblings in his vision, but did that mean this wasn't supposed to happen? They were literally right there. How could he let this happen?

Still sniffling, Mirai shook her head as she tried to bury herself into her brother's chest. But Harui kept a firm grip on her shoulder, squeezing slightly. "Mirai, I know I haven't been a good brother, not to you, and definitely not to Nana, and I'm really sorry for that. I'm sorry I couldn't be better. I'm sorry I couldn't give you the life you deserve."

"What are you talking about?!" He wasn't making sense. Harui wasn't the type of self-centered person who would make everything about him, especially not when Marseille had just been killed. Feeling her breath hitch in her throat, Mirai slowly looked at her hands, then her clothes, and finally, her brother. "Nii...you..."