67 • Planning

"Ah, what a peaceful day."

"Baji-san set a bike on fire and socked two guys five minutes ago."

"What a peaceful day...by Baji's standards."

"Hey," exclaimed the captain of the first division in indignation. "That manager was being a fucking creep and those guys were harassing a girl. My actions are justified."

"Yeah, yeah, whatever. I wonder how Rei's vacation is going though." Needless to say, the boys—really, it was only Baji and Kazutora—had clung onto her and begged to take them with her, to which Inui and Kokonoi promptly whacked their heads with a broom and a mop respectively, waving and telling Reina to have a great vacation. "But, man, I just realized how differently the past, or is it the present Takemitchy? Anyways, he's so different from our Takemitchy that I'm surprised I never questioned it."

"Rei definitely questioned it though." Internally, Chifuyu thanked her overly logical thinking that would definitely never connect Takemichi's weirdness with something as bizarre as time leaping, even if she was suspicious of them. "You all jumping in to defend him probably added more suspicion."

"Meh, Rei's gonna forget it in a day or—is that Takemitchy?" Indeed, they saw Takemichi, drenched with rain, punching a tire while shouting war cries. "Holy shit, Baji! Control your damn duckling!"

"Tsk. That dumbass." Yanking Takemichi back by his collar, Baji threw him. to the ground. "The fuck are ya doing? Hell, the fuck did that wheel ever do to you?"

"Baji-kun? huh Kazutora-kun and Chifuyu? What're you—"

"The question should be, what the fuck are you doing with that tire?" Kazutora jerked his head towards the tire, widening his eyes when he noticed bloodstains on the ground, snapping his head to gape at Takemichi's bloodied knuckles. "You...have you been doing this all day?"

"Shut up! I'm busy!"

"Oi, who the fuck d'ya think you're talking to?"

"I'm not playing around here!" Takemichi wiped his tears, uncaring of the blood on his knuckles. "I have to...I have to get stronger than anyone! Stronger than Mikey-kun! Stronger than Rei! That's the only way I can change the future!"

"Hah?!"

Three collective shouts got drowned by the rain, though it was Chifuyu who immediately bombarded the time leaper with questions. "You're Takemitchy from the future? Holy shit, partner, what happened?"

Needing someone to release everything to, Takemichi told them everything. From Mitsuya's funeral to the tests to meeting Reina to her dying in his arms. He didn't miss a single detail, spilling everything out as the three members of the first division looked more and more horrified by the second.

"You're shitting me." Baji pinched the crease between his eyebrows. "Everyone's dead, Mikey and Kisaki will die this year, and Rei killed them all? Wait, how did Mikey even die?"

"I dunno," wailed the time leaper. "I'm just so damn pitiful! The future me didn't do jack shit and left Toman while everyone stayed! They all pushed me away from the corrupted Toman!"

"She made a promise," Naoto had said when he found a few letters exchanged between Reina and her siblings, at least the ones she didn't destroy and were found in her pockets. "To Baji Keisuke, Hanemiya Kazutora, and Matsuno Chifuyu...to Shiba Hakkai and Mitsuya Takashi...to Ryuguji Ken...a promise to...in exchange for their lives, she would spare the ones precious to them...spare you."

"I need to stay in Toman!" If everyone died because his incompetent self decided to leave them when things went rough, then he needed to be tougher. "In order to stay in Toman, everyone must acknowledge my strength! I must...I must be stronger than anybody or else...or else the future won't change!"