111 • Declaration of War

Droplets of rain began to fall, and Mikey couldn't stop his scowl from deepening. The rain felt ominous, and he had a bad feeling about the whole situation. "Kenchin, we're getting outta here first chance we get."

No, Mikey wasn't being a coward. He and Reina had a silent agreement to leave each other alone. He may have wanted the best future for everybody, but he wanted to be happy too. So, if someone were to take the fall for him, then he'd let them fall, even if that someone was his close friend whom he could technically call his sister.

Sano Manjiro was secretly selfish like that.

Even if it kept him up at night, even if he distanced himself from Mirai out of guilt, even if he swore to do his best to fill in the gap as Aizen's sibling, Mikey couldn't bring himself to confront her and demand they switch back to how it was meant to be; him as the villain of this story and her as the villain of a different story.

Because deep down he knew that taking the role of two villains was too much, no matter how flawlessly Reina managed it.

"What did you come here for, Brahman?!"

"Y'know, Shin always said," the absolute bastard of a man, Akashi Takeomi, who Mikey would lovingly dub as an asshole, drawled the stupidest thing Mikey had ever heard, and it involved his late brother. The name of his beloved late brother should never come out of the mouth of the bastard who was too caught up in his own delusions and self-pity to care for Shinichiro's death. "That I'm the number one rain bringer in Japan."

Seriously, what the fuck was up with him?

"We're not here for you, Rokuhara Tandai!" Takeomi declared with a face that was trying so hard to look as if he knew what he was doing. "We're here to scout those two! Hanagaki Takemichi and Suou Aizen!"

Just as he finished his sentence, a baton came flying, bashing into his head with a loud crack, and Mikey had to resist the urge to laugh when he saw who was responsible for it.

"And how many times do we have to tell you to fuck off and leave us alone?!" In all her nine-soon-to-be-ten-year-old glory, Hokusei Mirai stomped towards Aizen, standing in front of him protectively as if she wasn't two heads shorter than the blond.

"You fucking brat—"

"Ooh, nice one, kid." Emerging from the crowd with his own baton—one he technically stole from his sister two years ago—twirled in his hand, Rokuhara Tandai's number two, none other than Haitani Ran, whistled at the blood dripping down Takeomi's temple. "Damn, you really are your sister's sister. That deadly aim ain't no joke."

Probably because the joke was Mirai had two batons on her person, which wasn't even a joke at all considering there really were two batons strapped to her belt. Why that little girl needed two stun batons when she had a literal don for a half-brother, two dramatic brutes for her other half-brothers, a trained assassin for a sister, an invincible delinquent for a distant brother, a martial arts expert for another distant brother, and a whole former gang all ready to drop everything to protect her, was beyond Mikey's comprehension. But to each their own, he supposed.

"To think the legendary first generation of Black Dragon's War God got outdone by a kid." Beside Ran, Rokuhara Tandai's number three and his brother snickered. Was Rindou proud of Mirai for doing that? Yes. Was he also mad because this kid couldn't fight for shit but was picking one with not one, but two top gangs? Also yes. Would his emotionally constipated ass show it? Absolutely fucking not. "No wonder the Black Dragons got bested by a girl."

"Kinda like how you two look like an unripe tomato and rotten tomato respectively." Because of course, the Haitani brothers kept their red highlights. Sadly, the world, sans the people invited two years ago, never knew about the Haitani brothers' little sister. However, that hardly should concern them when Harui, of all fucking people, snuck up behind them with that poisonous smile of his.