71 • Freight Train

Unsurprisingly, Kokonoi Hajime was stubborn as fuck. Sure, his concussion wasn't that bad. But it was still a concussion, and he couldn't just 'sleep it off' so he could, in his words, fuck Tenjiku over and see his president in action, then proceeded to dry-swallow some painkillers.

Yes, he nearly threw up because it was too bitter and the medicine got caught in his throat.

Idiot.

While she wasn't expecting much, Reina had ordered the rest of Black Dragon to gather information via rumors and other delinquents, but never through Tenjiku. It was far too dangerous for them to directly mess with Tenjiku, and it wasn't like she could watch over all of them considering her presence alone drew attention.

In a way, she was grateful Kokonoi was up and functioning again. His strong suit wasn't his strength, but his intelligence and connection. Reina wanted to expand that part of him. So, of course, she gave him her connection and asked him to investigate with Inui.

Inui, on the other hand, was there so he could watch and learn how she operated things. Reina didn't want to jinx herself, but there was no guarantee she would stay as the Black Dragon leader forever. Inui might have to take the lead someday, and she wanted him to be as prepared as possible.

Reina honestly thought of dressing up and going undercover as she had done with Moebius, but there were better, albeit more roundabout, ways to solve her lack of information.

By asking her gang to move, she would be giving them field experience and even if they failed, they wouldn't die, and they could learn to get better. All in all, this whole hunt, as she so eloquently phrased it, would just be something for them to laugh about when they have become more experienced.

After all, the one who would be doing the dangerous hunting was her.

But Kisaki was someone who had failed and learned from his failure, so even if she had eavesdropped on anybody wearing a red coat, stalked the top members, and spied in on their meeting, she couldn't find anything useful. Meaning that Kisaki was being careful about who knew of his plans.

"Izana and Hanma obviously know." She moved the chess pieces on the board, head placed on the crook of her elbow as she tapped the glass. "Everybody seems to respect the head of the heavenly kings, Kakucho." He didn't have a last name. It was as if records about him had been erased. "He's fairly close with Izana, so maybe he knows too. But the other four heavenly kings and executives know nothing about their plans. They're just foot soldiers doing what they're told to do. Meaning, it'll be hard to prevent an accident from happening."

None of the other Tenjiku members knew of Izana and Kisaki's plans, only that they would be taking over both Toman and Black Dragon, then becoming Japan's worst criminal organization or whatever. If Izana asked them to kill someone, they would do it immediately, making it hard for her to counterattack if she didn't fucking know their targets.

"Kenny, Baji, Kazutora, Mitsuya." Rearranging the bishops and knights, she looked at the chessboard. "Those four are most likely to be attacked, but how...guns? I doubt Harui wants to give them unlimited guns for free and those bastards don't even know how expensive a gun is."

Harui. Her most beloved older brother who just couldn't be contacted. He was always flocked by at least one heavenly king and his face never betrayed his feelings. Reina admired his thick walls, she really did. But she really wished she was allowed into the walls because Reina just couldn't figure out what the fuck he was planning and how to prepare against it.

Besides, the reports she got from Akise—she didn't want to assume, but Akise was behaving very discreetly, and while she knew he wouldn't betray her, his behavior was suspicious—showed three guns had been taken. They were all low-quality ones that didn't make it into the big market. But a gun was still a gun, and it could still shoot bullets even if the trigger needed to be pulled harder or it made too much noise.