62 • Confrontation

The dice rolled, one showing two dots while the other showed five. Reina moved the tiny glass statue—one of a girl wearing a crown, something Anggita gifted her—seven steps forward. She sighed when it landed yet again on the head of a snake, sliding the statue down to the number five square.

Picking the dice up, Reina gritted her teeth as she let the cubes roll, swearing she'd finish this game even if it cost her the rest of the day and more. Maybe this stupid game was just to stall time, seeing as she refused to even think about the Suou family, or even Toman and Black Dragon. Whatever it was, Reina moved the statue again.

The board game looked more like a carpet as it filled almost the entirety of her bedroom floor—as expected of a thousand steps—so Reina had to crawl to the center to put the statue on the square labeled with fifty-seven. Six...up the ladder to two hundred. The dice rolled again. Twelve...up the ladder to four hundred and fifty-three...three, down the snake to sixty-six.

Clicking her tongue, Reina massaged her temples and rolled the dice again, groaning when she rolled to the thirtieth square. But the snake on the thirtieth square was probably the shortest snake on the board. Taking a deep breath, she let the dice roll again. One die revealed five dots and Reina beamed, knowing she needed to take exactly eight steps to reach a ladder that would take her to the nine hundredth square.

The second die rolled off the board, continuing to roll as if it were a ball and not a cube. Reina glared at the rolling cube, praying it would land at three dots. The die started to slow, and Reina beamed brighter when she could see three dots on the surface.

But the door swung open, kicking the die away before it could stop rolling.

"Motherfucker!"

"Uh, I," the fucking rude unwanted visitor stammered, and Reina growled so viciously that she almost lunged when the bastard's fucking shoe stepped on her board game.

"Nanane! I'm sorry!" Mirai clambered in soon after, out of breath and eyes blown wide in panic. "I tried to stop him! I really did! But he just went upstairs! I'm sorry! I'm sorry! I'm sorry!"

Oh, this bastard was dead. So fucking dead. How fucking dare he barge into her home and make Mirai panicked like that. Reina didn't even care about the board that broke when she lunged at him, tackling the unwanted visitor to the floor before raising one hand, ready to claw his eyes out.

"Nonononono!" Mirai tackled her sister, sending both girls crashing to the floor. Mirai couldn't let Reina murder someone in her own room, especially not when he would be the victim. Amidst their scuffling, Mirai's foot accidentally kicked the glass statue until it shattered into pieces.

Now, Reina could tolerate the board being broken. But not the fucking glass piece.

Mirai, who understood just how much Reina treasured her glass game pieces, or anything made of glass, screamed in absolute horror, "I'm so sorry!"

Pressing her index finger between her eyebrows, Reina massaged that spot as she tried to calm herself down because it wasn't Mirai's fault a bastard showed up, nor was it her fault Reina lacked sleep.

"Mirai, can you run to the store and buy me more lollipops?"

"Huh? But—"

"Mirai."

Grimacing, the younger girl nodded. She spared a few seconds to glower at the unwanted visitor before rushing out of Reina's room. When the door finally closed with a click, Reina glared at the visitor, raising an eyebrow. "Why are you here?"

"The one you asked not to see you was Dad, not me," he answered smoothly, leaning against the door with his hands in his pockets, "I don't think we've been formally introduced. I'm Suou Aizen. I should say it's nice to meet you, right, sister?"