09 • The Arrest

Humans have these things called the sixth sense, often called gut feeling. It differed for every person, so there was no definite way to tell how one's sixth sense worked. For Reina, her stomach would twist, and tingles would run up her arms and sternum whenever her sixth sense was trying to warn her of something. She once thought it was the random shiver that always happened at the most obscure time, but she soon learned that she had never shivered in the face of danger before despite the way her stomach somersaulted.

"Somehow...I feel like there's something wrong." Reina smoothed down the hair on her arms, stomach twisting until she gagged. "Mirai, did something look suspicious today?"

She would know if she was the one who saw something wrong. But since the day went by relatively normally, she could only assume that whatever was wrong wasn't with her. She had left Mirai alone for the majority of the day, and Reina honestly couldn't give a shit about others outside of her own people, so of course, Mirai was her top priority.

"Not really." Closing the balcony curtains that showed the night sky, Mirai hopped onto the sofa beside Reina. "Mikey...he came and asked for you this afternoon, but you were with Akise, so I told him you're on your internship. Other than that, nothing."

"Sano? How...coincidental," Reina drawled, palms under her chin and elbows on her knees, "Akise and I were discussing him. He said that he saw Sano and Draken apologizing to some guy yesterday. It was the captain of the third division's friend's dad. Akise said they apologized for getting his wife involved in their gang world."

"It's not their fault though?"

"People like to find things to blame," explained the older sister as she filed the rough edges of her nails. "It's the same with us, with me. That's why I killed them all."

Mirai stared at her sister, hopping onto the couch to pat Reina's head as if she were consoling a child. "Don't go killing people, Nanane." The redhead grinned, holding up her pinky. "You promised, right?"

A promise she was determined to keep even if she had to cut off her own hands to do so. When she learned the value of debts and favors, she learned how to twist her words so she could gain more than she would give. People could run from debts and favors, but promises were more sacred. Thus, she knew to never make light of the word promise. So, she looped her pinky around Mirai's.

"Yeah, I promise."

゚❁.。.:*✧・゚: *✧・゚:*卍*:・゚✧*:・゚✧*.:。❁

Reina might have to break that promise though.

"I told you everything I knew." The lie flowed past her lips as easily as she breathed, and if she were a bit better of a human being, she would've felt guilty. "Your gang, your president, and you yourself still owe me a favor each, and you want to add more?"

"Y'know what, you're not rude," Baji declared, slamming one hand on the dining table while the other was pointed to Nagarei's face. "You're fucking rude and selfish. Just help your pal out, Rei."

"You're not my pal."

"Your bro, then."

"You're not my pal, my bud, my friend, my homie, or my bro, Baji." Reina gritted out every word with a hiss, the snake around her shoulders hissing as well. "I'll give you information if you pay me for it, and that's it. I'm not getting involved in your stupid fights."

"Technically, we need information for a strategy meeting," Chifuyu piped in, choosing to stay on the sofa with Mirai. "If it's any consolation, Draken-kun sounded pretty angry when Mikey-kun asked Baji-san to, um, retrieve you."

He totally thinks of me as his bitch. Reina deadpanned, burying her face into her palms with a loud groan. At this point, Draken is the closest thing to a friend I can get. Wait, why the fuck am I trying to make friends? She raised her head to look at the grinning Baji. These boys are just future assets I decided to gamble on. I should indulge them a bit.