173 • Battle of the Legends #2

Fighting South was weird, to say the least. Mikey couldn't exactly put a finger on what he was feeling. It just felt both wrong and right at the same time, and he didn't know what to think of it. If Mikey had to put a word or two into whatever he was feeling, they would be 'bloodlust' and 'vengeance' even though he did not know what it was that was driving him to feel that way. Hell, he didn't even know who the fucker was. Today was their first meeting.

Somehow, somewhere, Mikey didn't think it was their first meeting.

"Vivo! Mikey! Draken!" South roared, slamming his fists together. "It's been a while since I felt this kind of adrenaline rush! Let's continue to pummel each other until one of us dies!"

"Die by yourself, fucker." Mikey snarled back, gritting his teeth because what the fuck was up with this bastard's strength and why was he a mere underling? It didn't make much sense, but then again, nothing about this whole fight made sense in the first place.

There was something more to this fight than just what was in plain sight, and Mikey felt his stomach twisting because he couldn't find out whatever that 'something' was. His gut feelings were screaming at him that he was making a mistake, that he was dancing like an obedient puppet on someone's palm, but Mikey didn't know what was wrong.

It agitated him.

There was an itch in his skin and it demanded something, something that wasn't merely getting his knuckles split open or feeling bones crunching under his fists. It was demanding an answer, a closure, something he didn't know but he knew he should know.

There was something missing.

"Fortissimo!"

Grunting when South's punch met his arms, Mikey gritted his teeth as his boots dug through the ground, getting pushed back. He, of all people, was getting pushed back because he blocked a punch. Swinging his leg, he kicked South's shoulder, grunting again when South only swayed, not even taking a stagger back.

Whatever was agitating him, Terano South was definitely on top of the list.

゚❁.。.:*✧・゚: *✧・゚:*卍*:・゚✧*:・゚✧*.:。❁

"Sanzu and Senju lost."

"As expected, right?"

Behind them, Inui ducked under Hanma's punch, swinging his leg to sweep Hanma off his feet. But before the lanky bastard could stagger back, Inui had extended his stun baton and slammed it onto Hanma's head, screaming as he turned the electricity up to the notch, causing an agonizing screech to tip out of Hanma's throat.

"Izana is weeding out the trash," Kokonoi reported, tossing a card onto the growing pile between them. "The balance of the fight is slowly tipping. I don't think the stalemate will last as long as you hope for."

"You should have more faith in me, Hajime." Reina chuckled behind her mask. After all, Kokonoi had been by her side for a very long time. Whether it be success, failure, hardships, massacre, and even time and fate themselves, Kokonoi had been there. After all they had been through, Reina hoped Kokonoi's faith in her wasn't that low.

"I do," answered the boy, dropping yet another card onto the pile. "I do trust you." Whether it be his life, death, or future, Kokonoi trusted Reina with them all. "No matter how crazy your plans seem to be, I know you've thought things through, and I know you're a good improviser." Kokonoi wasn't too worried about the outcome of the plan because he knew it would end as Reina wanted it to end. He was just worried her plans would need improvisations so soon in the game.

For once, Kokonoi wanted everything to go as the script Reina had painstakingly written. Just this one time, he wanted everything to go as she had planned, without a hitch and without a loss.