77 • Ultimatum

"You what?"

"Rei took the hit for Emma." Kisaki fixed his glasses, watching intently for any shift of expression from the eldest Hokusei. Judging by the way everyone was looking at Harui, he wasn't the only one. "I assume he's dead by now."

"Ah, what a shame," Harui responded with a shrug, his impassive smile betraying nothing. "Years and years of persistence, only to die of something so stupid. Victoire must be rolling in her grave right now." He glanced to the side. "But won't this hinder your plan, Izana?"

"On the contrary, this would turn out better," Kisaki said, turning all eyes to look at him. "After all, weren't you the one who said that taming Rei won't be easy? And that he'll kill us for killing Sano Emma, someone he thought of as a sister."

Izana, who had been oddly quiet as he gazed at the horizon, suddenly hopped off the stack of crates he was sitting at. All eyes followed him as he walked towards Kisaki, nobody daring to say a word.

"Ten years in that institution...this is the first time I've found someone who could understand the emptiness," Izana said, smiling so emptily that it was terrifying. "As well as what it feels like to be filled with love, only to get that love mercilessly ripped away from you."

The heavenly kings and executives took a step back on instinct when Izana walked past them, still smiling blankly. "Rei is my ideal brother," he said. "He has everything Sano Shinichiro loved, the Black Dragon, as well as the love of his siblings. He is perfect...perfect to be my new Emma."

Then, Izana turned to glare down at Kisaki. "But you've killed my ideal brother." He took great satisfaction when Kisaki took an instinctive step back. Izana took another step forward, walking past the younger boy. "Now I can't have my Emma. If another thing goes wrong and I lose my ideal Shinichiro too"—trailing off, he glanced back at Kisaki, narrowing his eyes—"I'll kill you, Kisaki." Then, he shrugged. "Ah, but that's fine too," he continued, tone a bit lighter, giving everybody a whiplash.

"Right now, Mikey must be feeling quite empty too." He grinned wider. "We'll kill the rest of Toman and I will tame Mikey. He will be my new Shinichiro."

゚❁.。.:*✧・゚: *✧・゚:*卍*:・゚✧*:・゚✧*.:。❁

With all that has happened in the past, waiting outside a surgery room was no longer a foreign concept. But no matter how many times they had sat on the stiff benches and glared at the blaring red lights and listened to the ticking of the clock that looked more than ready to pronounce someone's death, the dread never got lighter.

"What the fuck is this?" Turning to the blond who seemed to have lost all signs of life, Baji couldn't really find it in him to care, not when words like 'critical' and 'cracked skull' left the surgeons' mouths. "Oi, Mikey! The fight hasn't even started yet! So why the fuck is Rei in critical condition?" When Mikey remained quiet, Baji finally snapped.

"Why is Rei dying when it was supposed to be you?!"

Gasps echoed in the otherwise silent hall as Baji punched Mikey across his face. "What the fuck were you doing, Mikey?!" Baji all but roared, punching Mikey again. "You were there, weren't you?!"

Before he could shout anything else, Emma moved between him and her brother, trembling with her arms spread. Gulping down her sobs, she clenched her teeth together and looked into Baji's furious eyes, resisting the urge to step away.

"I'm sorry! I'm sorry! I'm sorry! It was my fault! Baji, it was my fault!" Falling to her knees as she hugged herself, Emma cried hysterically. "It was my fault! The bike...it was after me! I didn't...I couldn't...I didn't move and Mikey...then Rei...it's my fault! I'm sorry! I'm sorry! I'm sorry! I'm sorry! I'm sorry! It's my fault! It's mine so...so don't hit Mikey! Please! Baji, please! Please!"