98 • The Ending

"How long has it been since we hung out like this?"

"Did we have to miss the party?"

"I didn't expect a party." The eldest Hokusei deadpanned, swirling the wine in his glass. "Who the hell throws a party because their mutual crush accepted their confession?"

"Toman."

"Quite the group you've chosen, Nana." Sipping the alcohol, he tilted the half-empty glass towards her. "So? How was it this time? Didn't break the record, but it's more successful than our first act, right?"

"What was our first act again?"

"When Mirai first arrived, or maybe it's a while before or after that, or maybe it's when we decided to officially work together." He shrugged with an easy smile. "I can't remember the exact when, but it's quite a long time ago." Just for today, he poured wine into Reina's glass. That didn't mean he was supporting underage drinking. "We failed a lot, and you got hurt more than necessary because of us. Then, a while later, we succeeded in a failure."

"Killing Shiki was never my intention."

"I know." He sipped his drink. "You wanted him to suffer at least half of what he put you through. Is the reason you still crave blood because that revenge felt empty?"

"Who knows?" The wine tasted sweet on her tongue but left a bitter aftertaste. Downing it to the very last drop, the glass met the table with a soft tap. "Sometimes, even recently, I stand somewhere high enough that everything looks insignificant, and I wonder if everything would've been better if things had gone as they originally had."

"As it originally had, huh?" Scoffing, Harui was glad he ordered more wine. He was sure they would need more than a bottle to get through this conversation. He poured more wine into both their glasses. "You mean the future where we don't exist?"

"Isn't that the best future?" Reina asked rhetorically with a smirk, twirling the glass until the wine sloshed. "For us, I mean."

"Well, being dead sure sounds better than the life you've lived." Sloshing his own drink, Harui downed another glass. "But as much as I hate being alive, my life right now isn't so bad. Do you feel the same, Nana?"

Reina wouldn't say it was a bad life, and she most likely would never say that, or at least she hoped she would never. She has a family, blood-related and not, who loved her. She has people whom she loved as people, not as tools. She has people who loved her as a person, not as a tool. It wasn't the best life, but it wasn't a bad one either. So, she shrugged.

"Maybe."

"Don't be like that, Nana." Chuckling, he poured another glass for himself. "I've seen the way you look at Inui and Kokonoi...at the first division...at Mikey and Aizen and Izana." Nobody could quite understand the two of them as they could each other, after all. "You love them, don't you?"

"Not that kind of love."

"I know, Nana," he assured. "I know you don't love anyone that way, and that's not what I'm concerned about." He poured more wine into her unfinished glass. "I'm concerned about your plans now that you realize a time leaper has been trying to fix the future."

"You'll be surprised to know that I don't fucking know."

"Should I be?"

"No...you shouldn't." Sighing, she downed her glass before filling it with water. Nobody could quite understand the two of them as they could each other, after all. "Tell me what I should do, Rui...because I feel like any choice I make will fuck the future up."

The wine sloshed inside the glass, the last drop finally leaving the bottle. Playing with the cup, Harui sipped the alcohol, taking time to savor the taste. It really was sweet, and it did leave a bitter aftertaste. He didn't really like this type of wine, but Reina liked it. When the cup was empty again, he opened a new bottle.