Bonus Chapter: Marseille Special

They say that animals have power beyond human laws.

He didn't know where that came from or who made that up, but it was something his master once said to him in passing. His master, who was neither the sweet red-haired child nor the sly red-haired man. His master, who was the black-haired girl with bright green eyes. His master, who had stared down at him with no fear from the very start.

The name he was given seemed to hold a sentimental value to his master, but Marseille didn't know anything about that. He only knew that his master would hold him, and she didn't fear him. He only knew that his master would let him rest on her shoulders, and he would be fed without having to hunt or starve. He only knew that his master would take care of him.

Marseille first met Reina when she was visiting his burrow. Back then, he remembered being comfortable under a pile of termite-eaten wood and dusty wooden floors. But then, his burrow was kicked away, and he was met by a creature bigger than him. The little red-haired creature behind his soon-to-be master had screamed and scrambled away, a reaction he was quite used to in the presence of similar creatures.

But the one with black hair simply grabbed him by his head and raised him to her eye level as he writhed and hissed. "A ball phyton," she said, loosening her hold on him, and he immediately closed his mouth into the skin of her arm. "You're a normal snake, aren'tcha? Not an albino or anything special. I don't think you'll sell for much, but there're people who won't mind spending a pretty penny on you."

She huffed, easily removing him from her arm. "They didn't say this place is infested with a snake. Rats, yes. But not snakes." The snake hissed, snapping his jaw at her, and Reina could only smirk. "Snappy. I like you."

A loud squeak could be heard, followed by rattling. "Ah, perfect timing." A huge rat ran out of the cracked part of the wall. Reina grabbed the snake a bit tighter and slammed her foot down onto the rat with a bang. The rat's innards and blood splattered around the floor, sticking to the sole of her boot as she lifted her foot.

"You eat rats, right?" She dropped the snake. "Bon appétit." Then, she turned on her heels. "C'mon, Mirai. The cleaners should be here soon, so let's find lunch and a hotel to stay for a few days."

"What about the snake?"

"If it stays here, then the cleaners will probably call snake control or kill it." She shrugged, making her way towards the door. "C'mon now. You haven't eaten anything since breakfast at six, right? It's one now."

Mirai spared the snake a glance, squeaking because it was swallowing the rat Reina had just obliterated. She scrambled to her sister's side, clinging to the older girl's pants and not looking back at the grotesque lunch the snake was having. If Reina was in a better state of mind, maybe she would've thought twice before squashing a rat in front of Mirai. But Reina did just kill Ryou a few months ago, and she hadn't been sleeping right for the past months.

Well, Reina would get better as time went on.

Probably.

゚❁.。.:*✧・゚: *✧・゚:*卍*:・゚✧*:・゚✧*.:。❁

Reina found the snake in the hotel room she rented. She didn't want to know how it managed to snuggle into the sink of the bathroom, nor did she care how she just knew it was the same snake, but she still deadpanned. "I take it you don't like being in the wild?"

The snake hissed, and Reina just knew she was going crazy because there was no way she was initiating a conversation with a snake right now. "That house does seem comfy." Still, she took a seat on the countertop, looking down at the snake. "But I'm not sorry to say, I bought it. It's mine. Find another abandoned house to live in."