107 • The Fourth Future #9

"It's a great future, isn't it?" Tilting her head to the side, her hair covered half her face as she sneered. "What more could you possibly ask for?"

Swallowing the lump in his throat, Takemichi tried to move his bound hands, freezing when the gun was pressed deeper into his wound. Tears began to well up in his eyes, and he held his breath with his eyes clenched shut.

"Drop the gun and untie him, Sanzu."

"Yes, boss." Like a dutiful dog, Sanzu ripped the duct tape binding Takemichi to the chair with his gun before placing it back into his holster. Despite taking a step back, he still snarled and narrowed his eye when the quivering man pulled out an envelope from his pocket.

"I...I wanted to give you this."

The envelope was snatched out of his hand with enough force that a rip was heard, yet Takemichi remained deathly still, too scared of having another gun shoved to his head. More rips could be heard, and Takemichi guessed whoever snatched it must've ripped the envelope open.

"It's an...an invitation to my wedding." Swallowing his nervousness, Takemichi exhaled roughly through his mouth. "I just really want you to come."

One nod from Sanzu—not that she needed it because this was Takemichi—confirmed that the letter was, indeed, a wedding invitation.

"Everyone's doing well," Takemichi said, his voice no longer trembling. "Just like you promised twelve years ago, Hina and everyone...they're all happy...everyone is happy." Taking a deep breath, Takemichi clenched his fists.

"Everyone but you."

"I'll fuckin' kill you, bastard—"

"Leave us." Reina's voice cut through Sanzu's threat. "I want to talk with him alone."

Despite having the top two highest ranks in the organization, just under Reina, Izana and Inui had almost never reached an agreement. It was only their mutual decision to follow Reina that allowed them to even tolerate each other's existence. So, when the two men looked at each other and nodded, the rest knew nobody would be allowed inside the building until Reina was done.

"We'll be waiting outside."

Exchanging glances, Ran knocked his shoe against Rindou's in a silent demand for him to keep his promise because he was the one who made it first, which prompted an eye roll from the younger Haitani. Waiting until the others had left, all except Izana and Inui who were glaring at them, Rindou took a deep breath before making his way toward Reina, making sure to keep his distance.

"Boss, Mirai called a while ago," he said slowly, gauging for a change in her expression, which didn't happen. "She asked you to not kill Hanagaki."

Blinking, Reina parted her lips ever so slightly. Mirai? What did she look like again? Reina hadn't seen her sister since a decade or so ago, which meant her mental image of a child—yet again, she couldn't remember Mirai's face, only her big smile—had probably long expired. She remembered how precious Mirai was though, and that was why Reina had cut her off so brutally.

"Leave us."

As if a knife had been stabbed into her heart, if she even had one, Reina gritted her teeth at the phantom pain. It was fine. This was fine. The more hated she was, the more they could enjoy a guiltless life in the light. She could and would shoulder everything. Each and every single thing that was thrown or dropped at her, she would shoulder them all, and that was why this was fine.

"Yes, boss."

The door slammed shut, leaving only the time leaper and the crime lord in the dimly lit room. Pushing herself off the chair without making a single noise, her fingers skimmed over her pocket, her feet taking silent steps towards the time leaper.