116 • Generation of Brutality

"What is the meaning of this?"

It had only been a few days since the formation of Ryujin, and Reina wasn't expecting anything dramatic to happen anytime soon. Sure, Brahman revolted against their formation, but Reina made it extra clear that they meant nothing to her, and Takeomi wasn't as stupid as his sister. He knew when to back off. That was one thing off their backs for the time being, so Reina made Ryujin shift their attention to gaining a reputation.

Then, this happened.

"Answer me, Sanzu." Glaring down at the man kneeling in front of her, the first thing that filled her thoughts was, "Did Manjiro set his little dog up for this?"

"It would've been nice if he did," answered the man as he grinned up at her. "But I'm doing this because I want to." His eyes narrowed knowingly. "Because you're taking Mikey's place."

Beside her, Inui bristled. He had never liked the path she was taking, but he sucked it up simply because she was the one person he had devoted his life to, and it pained him more to see her fall alone. But that didn't mean he'd tolerate other people's presence. Though it was comical how quickly he calmed down with just a raise of her hand.

"What do you know?"

"I know fate hasn't been kind to either of you."

Scoffing out a bitter laugh, she sneered. Sanzu may be kneeling at her feet and declaring his undying loyalty, but it was all just a front. Sanzu Haruchiyo was loyal to one person, and that person was Sano Manjiro, not Kurokawa Reina.

"You can follow Manjiro. Nobody will judge you."

"And you could've left him alone, but here you are."

Snarling, both Inui and Izana looked one word away from bashing Sanzu's head to the ground. For two people fighting over the position as her second and right hand, they sure were in sync when it came to things that threatened even the slightest bit of her peace.

Anything but herself, at least.

"Aren't you trying to defy fate? Why reject a willing tool?"

"I'm rearranging fate."

Defying fate demanded a price she couldn't pay, but simply rearranging was a different case. To rearrange was to change what was already there without adding or decreasing anything, to simply move the existing cogwheels instead of replacing them. The things fate planned would still happen. Her job was simply changing who would do its plans, as well as how they got executed.

"It doesn't change the fact that you need tools."

It didn't. Reina needed more tools, single-use and not, and Sanzu had more worth than all her disposables combined. It didn't matter whether his loyalty was with Mikey or her since Mikey knew better than to get in her way, but Sanzu was part of Toman, so he was part of the protected targets.

"How did you know about Manjiro?"

"I just do." His diamond scars stretched as he smiled condescendingly. "I don't like you, Reina. In fact, I hate you so much that I wish you'd just die," he told her, ignoring the murder in Izana and Inui's eyes, as well as in Kokonoi and Kakucho's, though they concealed theirs better. "But I won't let you take responsibility for Mikey alone. Because I am the only one who can truly protect the king."

The only one who could truly protect the king?

What a joke.

Her foot connected with his jaw, a loud crack echoing through the otherwise silent park—of all places to choose—as Sanzu's back collided with a bench. Not giving him a chance to breathe, she stomped her foot down to his chest, knocking the breath out of him as she glared down at him.