73 • Traitor

"Big bro once asked me...what do I think of having another brother." Placing his elbow on the balcony railings and his chin on his palms, he looked at the barren streets below. "And I told him that I'll definitely love him."

"Hmm." Leaning her back against the railing, Reina tilted her head back and stared blankly at the sky. "So? Can you say the same now?"

"I...honestly don't know." Burying his face into the crook of his elbows, Mikey sighed. "I really don't know, Reichin. I...I wanna love him, but he hates me. I think he wants to kill me."

It was honestly too early to be having a deep conversation like this, especially since she didn't sleep much and just had a crying session less than two hours ago. But Reina couldn't deny Mikey when he showed up looking visibly distressed, demanding an explanation on why she didn't just tell him.

"Do you know how it feels like to have a good childhood, a family...the thing you wanted most dangling in front of you, only to have someone take it away from you?" She asked him without an ounce of emotion. Because the reality of the situation was that everything was rooted back to the inability to understand each other.

"Manjiro, it's not your fault, but you don't understand." No matter how much information she shared, Mikey would never be able to understand what Izana had felt and why he was doing what he was doing. "You don't understand what it feels like to be abandoned...and when you think you finally have something, the truth slaps you, and you feel betrayed and lied to and you just don't know who to hate and who to believe anymore."

"I don't," Mikey acknowledged without an ounce of shame, as he should. "But even if I don't know how it feels to be lied to and to be abandoned, I still...I wanna save him, Reichin. I wanna save my brother."

"Manjiro..." Pursing her lips, Reina wondered if telling him the truth right now would be more merciful to the both of them. "And if...if he isn't related to you in any way at all, would you still call him your brother?"

Their relationship was different from hers and the Hokusei family. Izana was essentially a stranger to him. There was no reason for Mikey to think of him as a brother when they weren't related, and he had never met him prior to this conflict. Still, Mikey straightened up and turned to face her.

"Let's make a deal, Reichin." Holding out his hand, Mikey looked her in the eyes in the same way he had when he asked her to bring Baji back. "The victory for the upcoming battle will become Black Dragon's. In return, help me save my brother."

And that was an answer on its own.

"Alright, Manjiro."

゚❁.。.:*✧・゚: *✧・゚:*卍*:・゚✧*:・゚✧*.:。❁

"Why is it...that when there's a secret involved, it's always you four?"

Those four people in question had the audacity to chuckle and scratch their napes. Sighing, Reina plopped down on her bed. "Who would've thought I'd meet two time leapers before being legal?"

"You're illegal?"

"Kei, you dense fuck." Rolling her eyes, Reina noticed how Takemichi sat as far away from her as possible, and how the other members of the first division looked more than ready to jump into his defense, physically. "Calm down. If I wanted to kill you, I would've done that the second you showed up at my door. Why did you even show up if you're so scared?"

"We thought that since you now know...might as well ask for your help," Kazutora answered, swiveling on her chair. "Ah, we're not trying to use you. It's just...well, you know most of us are idiots and we need someone with an actual brain to help us."