31 • Unraveling

Hanagaki Takemichi decided today was the day. Today, he would ask Nagarei to confirm Naoto's theory about him and Hokusei Reina being the same person.

It was a perfect day.

From what he had heard from Mirai, today was Nagarei's birthday, so he could use that excuse to visit him. He even bought melon lollipops and oreo cheesecakes as gifts. Chifuyu had confirmed that they were, in fact, Nagarei's favorite snacks. Nagarei was fond of food, so nothing should go wrong. If he visited early enough, he wouldn't cross paths with any other visitors, so Nagarei would feel more comfortable. And he even has a story ready, one of how he heard someone talking about him being Reina and how he was just asking for confirmation.

It was a perfect plan, and nothing could go wrong.

So, here he was, kneeling on the floor with a fucking scalpel pressed against his nape—he was pretty sure a surgeon pointing his scalpel on a visitor, or any people in general, was illegal—while Nagarei—or was it Reina—glared down at him from the bed. Takemichi didn't want to know how he—she?—still managed to look so terrifying.

"I should kill him."

"Won't that be too suspicious?"

"Make sure he's seen going outside the hospital, mangle his body, steal all his belongings, throw it in an alley. They'll suspect it was a robbery."

"Should we call Anggita?"

"Have Anggita deal with the authorities."

"A gun would be too loud."

"Bloodstained equipment is normal in hospitals."

Takemichi was visibly shaking as Nagarei (Reina?) continued to suggest different ways to kill him and make it as inconspicuous as possible. He had watched this kind of thing happen in movies, but never did he think this would happen to him in real life. Maybe if he begged like those manga characters, Nagarei (Reina?) would spare him. But Nagarei (Reina?) didn't look like that type of merciful person though.

Gathering his courage, Takemichi opened his mouth, only to realize in terror that nothing was coming out. Opening and closing his mouth like a fish out of water, he tried to string his thoughts together and blurt out the first thing he could, anything to make sure he didn't get killed.

"So, do I call you Reina?"

Fuck him and his stupid mouth.

"Akise." Nagarei (Reina?) held his (her?) hand out as the surgeon handed a fucking gun over. Without even batting an eye, the safety was clicked off and the nuzzle was pointed at Takemichi's face. "Covering up a murder caused by a gun is a hassle, but not something I can't do. Any last words?"

"Please don't kill me."

"Ah, right, I shouldn't." Takemichi breathed a sigh of relief. "As I thought, a gun is too much trouble. Akise, give me a scalpel." Never mind, he was still dead. He hoped Hinata would forgive him for not taking her on that date he promised. "Is a smaller scalpel better? I can work with anything."

"I believe you should get some answers first." Even as he said that, Akise twirled his scalpel leisurely as if that wasn't a piece of medical equipment being used to threaten a kid. "And Rei Rei, you mustn't forget about your promise. There are many ways to keep someone silent, and not all of them require murder."

What kind of doctor would say that?

"I suppose so." Sighing, Reina placed the gun on the bed, turning to glare at Takemichi. "You asked if you should call me Reina and you don't look that surprised...it's almost as if you already know, am I right?"