46 • White Room

"Where the fuck is she?"

"Does it look like I have a fuckin' clue?"

Ignoring the squabbling duo, Chifuyu bent over with his hands on his knees. He gasped for air. Each breath he took felt like a stab through his chest. From getting attacked and nearly dying on a cruise ship to hearing Reina's fucked up origin to losing said girl in just a matter of hours really convinced him that this was just not his night, or day considering the sun was slowly rising.

"Should we tell Mikey?"

"What're we supposed to say?" Baji raised the pitch of his voice as he began to mime. "Oh, Mikey, we lost our official-unofficial advisor slash the one person we vowed we'd protect slash Toman's savior after hearing her birth mother tell her that she was sold off to her abusive father and she was having a mental breakdown and yeah, we fuckin' lost her." He dropped his crappy act. "D'ya wanna get your ass fuckin' kicked, Kazutora?!"

"Better our ass than Rei's life!"

"You two." Chifuyu wheezed and coughed, gaining their attention. He took a deep breath, trying to keep his breathing under control. "First...first of all, we should tell Mirai and Takemitchy, see if he knows something from the future." However, Chifuyu doubted that since Takemichi would never forget something as big as Reina going missing. Plus, they had changed a major part of the past. "Second, what would telling Mikey-kun do? If Rei...if she disappeared, how will Mikey-kun help us find her?" Considering what Takemichi had told them, if Reina wanted to disappear, she would never be found unless she wanted to be found. "Third, maybe she's just...maybe she just needs space? I dunno?"

In hindsight, they really should've checked her house first. But in their defense, they were in too much panic to think straight. Chifuyu supposed Reina was right about emotional instability causing more disasters than needed. Still, that didn't stop them from panicking again when they realized Reina hadn't returned home for the night.

The shock hit Mirai especially harder. The girl immediately fell to her knees while gasping for breath, muttering words at lightning speed. "Nanane wouldn't leave. She wouldn't...there's no way she'd leave." Her hands clawed her scalp as she forced herself to take one breath after the other. "She won't leave. She's not leaving." Reina was a lot of things, but she wasn't someone who would abandon everything when faced with hurdles, regardless of how big the hurdle was. "She'd always go back home. She said...she promised...she wouldn't leave. No. No. No. No. No."

Takemichi, also with tears streaming down his eyes, told them that he had no idea Reina would go missing so suddenly. Meaning, it was an unforeseen situation. Their last hope was to call Anggita, but the woman wasn't much help either.

"Ah, anjir," she cursed in a language they didn't understand upon hearing the news. "Look, just, argh, just, well, ugh, if Rei Rei really went through all that, then maybe she went to the beach or something." It had, after all, been such a long and tiring day for her. "Just...just give her some time. I'll try to contact her."

"She wasn't at the beach!" Kazutora nearly screamed, so close to pulling his hair out. "I already checked! What if...what if she got attacked?" They were practically in Black Dragon's territory, and not to mention, that damned cruise. "Rei was injured! Her leg was hit by a fucking bullet! She can't...oh, fuck."

If Reina got attacked, there was a high chance she would lose.

"Breathe," Baji said softly as if he wasn't also panicking. He placed his hands on Kazutora's shoulders, squeezing in reassurance. "We'll call Mikey and tell him what happened. It's gonna be okay. It's Rei we're talkin' about. She's gonna be okay. So breathe...just breathe."

Takemichi and Chifuyu scrambled to get their phones, spamming Mikey with calls and texts. It didn't take Mikey long—just enough for Mirai to finally cry herself to sleep on the sofa and for Kazutora to stop hyperventilating—to slam the door open, still in his pajamas and obviously looking like he had just rolled out of bed.