78 • Against it All

A crack in her skull and a shattered arm.

Those were the simplified extent of Reina's injuries. Akise had told them how the arm was more damaged than the head since it received the full brunt of the hit, but Reina was announced to be in a coma. However, Takemichi swore he heard Akise muttering about the hospital being excessive. Even so, she had to be monitored around the clock in case her condition took a turn for the worse, and that didn't ease their nerves at all.

"Akise is a good doctor, one of the best there is." Anggita had said to the unresponsive boys when she arrived. "But while it would be nice if he can guarantee a life just because he's a skilled doctor or because we have money, all we can do right now is hope Rei Rei still has the will to live."

Now, the boys and Emma were inside Reina's room, surrounding her bed with lifeless looks that rivaled the one actually being close to lifeless right now. Even in her sleep, Reina had her eyebrows furrowed, splashes of dark purple, navy, and maroon tainting the skin of her temple—Takemichi was sickeningly reminded of that future all over again—Akise had draped her in the thickest blanket he could find, covering up to her neck when she first shivered in her sleep.

The sky outside was already dark, signaling the approaching fight. But despite knowing Reina wasn't dying, none of the boys moved from the hospital room, and neither Akise nor Anggita tried to make them leave. But Takemichi knew that even if both Reina and Mikey had survived, as long as nothing was done, the future wouldn't change.

Especially because there was no telling when Reina would wake up.

"Rei...na?"

If Takemichi thought it couldn't be worse, Emma managed to find Aizen's number on Reina's phone and called him, as well as Hinata. His girlfriend had stumbled outside, her sobs still hearable while Aizen remained inside with the other boys.

"Hanagaki, this is a lie, right?" Aizen asked, his voice shaking as he swallowed the rising bile in his throat. "This...there's no way this is Reina, right? There's no way...there's no way she's...this is a...it's a lie, right?" When Takemichi only cried harder in response, Aizen shook his head in desperation, wishing it was a lie. Slapping his hand over his mouth, he doubled over and retched, unable to handle it anymore. "I...I'm...going outside."

Making his way toward where Mikey, Draken, and Baji were sitting, Takemichi almost cried again when he saw just how unresponsive Mikey was. Despite knowing it wouldn't work, he gathered his nerves and walked up to them, stopping in front of Mikey.

"Mikey-kun...this might not be the right time to talk about this, but...but today is our final battle with Tenjiku and the gang can't move without your command." When Mikey remained silent, Takemichi felt tears well up in his eyes again. "Mikey-kun...the one who attacked Emma-chan and Rei...it was Kisaki." Again, he was met with silence. "Rei knew...Rei predicted this would happen and you...you know Kisaki...he's as devious as ever and...and I couldn't catch him so...so Rei has to..."

"Shut it, Takemitchy!" Draken snapped, grabbing his collar to shove him away. "Shut up! Just...shut the fuck up! Tenjiku will face Toman later! Fuck off!"

"But—"

"For fuck's sake, leave us alone! Goddammit!"

Clenching his fists in determination, Takemichi bowed and left. There's no other choice. I...I have to settle things with Tenjiku...even if I have to work alone, I have to change it. I have to move forward. But just as he was about to turn the corner, sobs and wails stopped him.

"Rei-kun...no...no...this can't..." Hinata sobbed, leaning on the wall until she fell on her knees as Emma let her cry on her shoulders. "No...no...this can't be happening...Emma-chan...Rei-kun is..."