24 • Nomination

"Keep an eye on Mirai?"

Both Chifuyu and Reina looked at Takemichi as if he had grown two heads, which shouldn't be weird considering what he had just said. Though Reina had her index finger between her lips, holding her chin as she mulled over Takemichi's desperate babbles.

"You're not...wrong," she finally muttered. Yes, Takemichi was acting so desperate that he looked suspicious, but his concern wasn't for no reason. "Mirai was already attacked once, at a time I wasn't there, at that." Once was one time too many. "If Kisaki is as smart as he thinks he is, he would know I'm a threat to his plans. Attacking Mirai while I'm away isn't far-fetched."

"But what about the fight?"

"Of course, I'll still join in to hold my side of the deal," Reina answered Chifuyu calmly as she texted someone. "All I need is a...babysitter who can make sure Mirai will be safe. From today until a week or so after the fight...yes, that's good enough." As long as it wasn't permanent, nobody would mind. "I just hope Anggita and I can work around our schedules to make it happen."

"Anggita?"

"She's a distant relative of Mirai." She easily followed through with the lie they had prepared. "Anggita spent her childhood and teenage years mastering pencak silat, so I think she'll do fine." That part wasn't a lie because Anggita, despite her prim and proper appearance, was someone who was quite involved with the gangsters of Indonesia. Dealing with a few teenage delinquents would be a piece of cake for her.

Sure, asking Anggita was risky. But now that her identity had changed from Tosei Nagarei to Hokusei Nagarei, there was no point in hiding anymore. Besides, it wouldn't be the first time Nagarei and Reina had been linked together. After all, there was a reason why the name of her alternate identity was so similar to her original one.

Takemichi blinked at Nagarei's smug look, not believing how easy it was for him to ensure Mirai's safety. It made Takemichi wonder. "Were you not planning to, uh, hire a babysitter for Mirai-chan?"

"I like to think that my home is safe enough for Mirai to not need a guard." Nagarei clicked his tongue, face turning into a scowl as he tapped the table with more force than necessary, causing the rhythmic tapping to echo. "But it's better safe than sorry. Mirai will understand...she always does."

Chifuyu and Takemichi shared a look. It was clear how much Nagarei hated the additional security, even if that security was someone he seemed to greatly trust since he knew Nagarei wouldn't just trust anybody with his sister. So, for Nagarei to be scowling meant he really hated adding security to his home.

"Is Hokkyokusei...really that dangerous?"

That question had Takemichi perking up, eager to learn more about the organization. He watched as Nagarei sighed and explained, "Hokkyokusei has two official leaders, Hokusei Harui and Hokusei Reina." Takemichi blinked dumbly but decided to question anything yet. If Nagarei was lying about his gender and identity, then it was only natural to have some sort of fake backstory.

"They're both my siblings. If the name isn't telling enough, Reina is my biological sister." Takemichi mentally applauded Nagarei because if that was a lie, he didn't know how Nagarei managed to say it with a straight face. "The one who killed Father was me, but the one who protected me from the police and media was Harui and Reina. That's why nobody knows me. Mirai's the same actually." 

Another sigh, then Nagarei raked his hand through his hair while Takemichi was starting to feel dizzy with the new onslaught of supposedly false information. "Hokkyokusei then split, Harui taking half while Reina took the other. I help Reina manage Hokkyokusei whenever I can but for the most part, my task is just to keep Mirai safe while Reina and Harui duke it out with each other."