105 • The Fourth Future #7

Earlier that afternoon, Sanzu had been given a very important, life-betting, death-inducing, risky job.

"It's Harui's birthday. Deliver this to him."

And that job was the gift-delivering job done four times every year. The recipients were, of course, always either Mirai, Harui, Aizen, or Reina's two godchildren. And today was Harui's turn, the hardest of the lot. Fail this and he would get killed. It was as simple as that.

Did Reina trust him for this? Not at all, but everybody else was busy.

Simply delivering shouldn't be a problem, but Reina wanted the presents to go directly to the recipients' hands without them seeing the deliverer. She wanted a report of their faces when they opened the gifts. The reports weren't always good, but Reina seemed satisfied with them thus far. So far, the ones in charge were always Izana, Inui, Kokonoi, and Kakucho. The Haitani brothers too, but their service was reserved only for Mirai.

Sanzu honestly didn't understand why she kept on doing this since a decade or so ago. She had already cut everyone off, so what was the point in playing a sugar sister or sugar godmother now? But every report of the recipient's reaction she got brought a little light into her eyes, temporary as it may be, and Sanzu knew everybody would do anything to keep Reina as sane as possible. It was honestly disgusting.

But what the queen wanted, the queen got.

Tucking the small velvet box into his pocket, Sanzu didn't think about what the present could be, too busy planning how he would drop it at Harui's hands without the man seeing him. Why nobody liked delivering Harui his presents was simple. Unlike Aizen, Mirai, Regis, and Regina who have minimal survival instincts—Regis and Regina didn't even know what their godmother looked like, so they were allowed to send the gifts through a delivery service, granted Reina would receive an indirect report from her cousins about their reactions—Harui's instincts were nearly on par with Reina, and that made sneaking around him harder.

Sanzu was sure Inui got caught once. But since Reina never mentioned anything, he pretended he didn't see the way she destroyed the recording device hidden under Inui's collar without batting an eye.

There was a reservation at one of the restaurants owned by one of his boss's cousins under Harui's name, so that should lessen the difficulty of his job. Maybe he would pluck a page out of Kokonoi's book and pay a waiter to deliver the present. Ah, but he wondered if Reina would gut him if she knew, which she undoubtedly would. After all, he had let another grubby paw touch the present. But Kokonoi had done it and Reina didn't look too angry last year, and no eye was gouged. But that was probably because Kokonoi was one of her favorites.

"Hmm...should I just sacrifice my eye?"

"Fuck kinda shit are ya on now?"

Snapping his head to the voice that grated his ears worse than any nails on ceramic ever could, Sanzu bared his teeth at the trio of old hags passing him in the hallways. Granted, this was the hallway of Reina's office in headquarters, so meeting them shouldn't be a surprise.

"Mind yo damn fuckin' business, ya fuckin' cunt!"

"Hah?! Hell didja just call me?!"

"I called you what you fuckin' are, fuckin' cunt!"

"You—"

"Enough," Wakasa drawled, cutting into the sibling feud. "Get walking, Takeomi. We've got a report to make and I'm sure Sanzu's got a job. It is his birthday today, after all."

"You're tellin' me Reina trusts him?"

"Well, who else is available right now?"

If he wasn't so concerned about his job, Sanzu swore he would've pulled out his gun and shot the motherfucking executive in the atrocity he called dyed hair and his equally, if not more, atrocious ponytail.