36 • The Second Future #2

The waves splashed against her ankles as the wind began to pick up, blowing her unnatural curls until they were all tangled up. The smell of salt was thick in the air, and it made her eyes heavy. Then again, her eyes have always been heavy since that day. Taking a deep breath, she heard two pairs of footsteps enter the water, splashing softly as she continued to stare blankly at the horizon.

"It's today, boss."

"Hm." She hummed, turning around to leave the water. She walked past the two men without sparing a single glance. "Proceed as planned."

"Yes, boss."

It's been twelve years. Taking a deep breath, she zipped on her combat boots and slipped her four guns into the straps on her thigh and calves, then two more on each side of her waist. Slipping two daggers beside the guns on her waist and two more on the back straps of her belt, she made sure the daggers hidden in her boots were where they should be. Tugging her leather gloves down, she clenched her fists.

"Toman will end today."

゚❁.。.:*✧・゚: *✧・゚:*卍*:・゚✧*:・゚✧*.:。❁

The roof of the warehouse was filled with holes, allowing the setting sunlight to lighten the building. Strips of orange shone on rusted walls, illuminating the dried blood splattered all over them. Perhaps it would've been better if it was dark instead. That way, they wouldn't be subjected to the gory sight, no matter how used to it they were.

"I'm sorry."

Reina paused mid-loading her gun, glancing at the man who was tied to the chair, blood spilling out from every injury inflicted on his body. The smell of iron and death was so thick that it was sickening, but she had gotten used to it. She could tell the man was delirious after the torture session, the pain and blood loss making it hard for him to keep his eyes open.

"Apologies won't bring them back." Reina cocked the gun to his head. There were voices in her head, screaming things she had heard long ago. It didn't take long for flashes of vision to play like a broken movie in her mind.

゚❁.。.:*✧・゚: *✧・゚:*卍*:・゚✧*:・゚✧*.:。❁

"Rei, you have to let go." Chifuyu groaned when Reina's elbow connected with his nose. He was sure she had just broken his nose and dislocated his jaw from her earlier punches. Still, he lunged forward to stop her from ripping the casket open.

Reina thrashed against Chifuyu's hold. Her nails broke as she continued to claw the casket, staining it with her blood and claw marks.

"Rei, let go." Baji stood up from the floor, wiping the blood dripping from his mouth. He grabbed hold of Nagarei's wrists, pushing both him and Chifuyu back. He hissed when Nagarei clawed his face. Even so, Baji refused to let go of his wrists. He would rather it be his face than Harui's casket.

"Rei! Snap out of it!" Kazutora yelled, shaking Nagarei's shoulders until his head rocked back and forth. "You nearly hit Mirai! Stop this! For Mirai's sake, stop! Please!"

But Nagarei only screamed, clawing and pulling his own hair out. He was crouched so low on the floor that his forehead was bruised against it, but all he could do was scream and cry. The words leaving his mouth were gibberish at best, choked with tears and sadness, and his blood began to drip to the tiles with how his nails dug into his skin.

"Kazutora! Get Mirai back inside!" Baji jerked his head to the transparent door, where a majority of Toman was watching. They had to be escorted out when Nagarei punched Mikey to the wall with so much force that the wall cracked. He could still see Mikey nursing his broken nose and bleeding head, looking equally horrified and on the verge of tears. Draken was beside him, carrying and shushing Mirai while the little girl cried into his shoulder.