149 • Peace

"What about my sister?"

"She's stable," the doctor answered. "Her burns aren't severe, but she inhaled a lot of smoke, so she's still unconscious."

"I see." Harui dragged his hand down his face, sighing as he stared at the girl on the bed, the oxygen mask that never stopped fogging being the only assurance that Reina was still alive. "What about the others? The Inui family?"

"The boy's burns aren't that severe though they will scar. But the girl's burns require more treatment," the doctor answered again. "Their lives are, fortunately, not in danger, but the girl is still unconscious."

"Hm." Inui Seishu was one name Reina mentioned a lot, and Harui knew that he was precious to her. "Whatever the Inui family has to pay, I'll cover it, so just make sure to give them the best treatment you can give."

"Oh, of course, sir."

Knowing that simply talking to the doctor wasn't enough, Harui turned around to talk with the Inuis themselves. He, however, didn't expect to see a black-haired boy, Kokonoi Hajime, if Reina wasn't wrong when she said he and Seishu had been friends since childhood, standing in front of Reina's room.

"Can we talk in private?"

゚❁.。.:*✧・゚: *✧・゚:*卍*:・゚✧*:・゚✧*.:。❁

Reina has, admittedly, been through a lot of shit. But she had never once almost died due to a house fire. She had committed arson before, and she did let herself get a bit burned to make the 'pitiful child' act more believable, but she hasn't nearly died of carbon monoxide poisoning before.

"You're awake."

Glancing to the side, she saw Kokonoi sitting beside her bed, and Inui sitting beside him. Though his head was on her bed, and his hand was holding hers.

His hand was holding hers.

"Calm down." Kokonoi squeezed her hands before she could wrench them free, and Reina felt tears beginning to well in her eyes. The boy clicked his tongue, squeezing her trembling hands again. "You inhaled too much smoke, so I dunno if I should take the oxygen mask off. But if you want me to, then fuck the doctors, I'll take it off."

Shaking her head frantically, Kokonoi got the memo. "Alright, I'll take it off. Just stay still." Her body was stiff as she forced herself to remain still, and Kokonoi made quick work of taking the mask off, tossing it under the bed, out of sight and hopefully out of mind. He handed a glass of water to her, keeping eye contact with her as he sat back down.

"The doctors said your throat is a bit burnt, and you did cry for hours, so they said you'll have a hard time speaking. So, please don't strain your throat," Kokonoi informed her when she opened her mouth, and Reina's hand immediately flew to her throat. "You've been unconscious for four days."

He nudged Inui awake, and now there were two pairs of eyes—well, technically only one pair plus one eye because Inui's left eye was covered with bandages—staring at her while Reina kept her eyes on her hands on the scrunched blanket. Reina didn't know when she became such a crybaby, but she really wanted to cry right now.

"When you saved Akane-san, the fire must've burned your gloves," Kokonoi told her, watching as Reina flinched and curled into herself even more. "When you jumped out with Akane-san, you weren't breathing or moving, so we tried to make you let go of Akane-san."

"In short, we grabbed your hands."

A pathetic sound resembling a squeak left her mouth at Inui's sudden voice, and Reina immediately slapped her hands over her mouth. Seeing her like that, Inui and Kokonoi shared a look before Kokonoi sighed.