94 • Dear Sister

The shattering sound echoed before the crash.

Tripping on his feet when he swayed, Izana bumped into the full-body mirror, toppling it until his reflection shattered into a million pieces, distorting his features. Hands, broken or not, clawed his throat and pulled the fabric around his chest. His breaths came out in gasps, too soft yet too loud at the same time, burning his lungs with emptiness.

"Izana! Izana!" Falling to her knees beside him, Reina tried to pull his hands away from his throat, grimacing at the blood on his nails. However, her actions only made Izana crash onto the floor, heaving harsher and harsher by the second. "Izana! Breathe! Please breathe! Breathe with me! Please! Please! Izana!"

Pulling her arm out of its sling, she hissed through the pain and used it to pull Izana onto her lap while pressing her good wrist beside his ear, forcing herself to breathe as normally as possible despite the thinning air. "C'mon, Izana. Three heartbeats to breathe, hold for two, exhale for three." Her arm throbbed in her cast as she used her broken hand to apply pressure on Izana's chest. "Please. Please. C'mon, please."

He wasn't listening and by God did Reina wish she couldn't understand him. But she fucking could, and that was why she swung her elbow when Miriam tried to approach them, curling into Izana as she scooted until her shoulder hit the wall. She snarled with bared teeth at her so-called mother.

"Stay the fuck away!" Feeling her breath hitch in her throat, Reina forced herself to swallow the invisible lump, gasping for breath—one, two, three—her chest tightening as her airway closed itself shut. "You! You...you don't give a fuckin' damn about us!" This woman was the reason why they found it hard to breathe. "Don't...don't fuckin' start now! Just leave! Leave! Please! Fuck! Fuck it! Just leave!"

She couldn't do this, not with Miriam—not with the woman who became the start of all their suffering—standing there with that pitying look on her face. She had no right. Whether it be pity, love, or apologies, Miriam Ramos has no fucking right to any of them.

"LEAVE!"

Pulling her brother to her chest, Reina forced herself to take in as much oxygen as possible, drying her throat until she coughed and choked on air. Izana trembled in her arms, his nails clawing her back as he gasped soundlessly. He's still not breathing. Gritting her teeth, Reina felt her own breath picking up even worse than before. What should I do? What should I do? What am I supposed to do?

It burned. His lungs, his throat, his eyes. Everything fucking burned and the tears streaming down his eyes felt like gasoline, further enraging the burn. His hands clawed at anything they could reach, anything to ground him, anything to bring him back to the surface, out of this goddamn suffocating ocean.

Air. He needed air. In his lungs. Right fucking now.

Wincing when his clawing ripped her coat, Reina gritted her teeth and pressed two fingers to the side of his neck. Swallowing yet another growing lump in her throat, Reina pressed the spot she hoped would calm Izana down.

It didn't.

"Please, please, please." She didn't know what she was pleading for. For Izana to get off her because his weight was starting to suffocate her too? For him to stop clawing her back because her shirt had been ripped as well? For him to breathe? For herself to calm the fuck down and focus on Izana instead of Miriam? She didn't fucking know.

"Nii-san!" The word tasted foreign on her tongue, but not wrong. Never wrong. Izana was her brother as much as Harui was, and Izana had frozen for a fraction of a second, so she'd be dumb if she didn't grab that golden rope. "Nii-san, I...y'know, I never bothered with formalities, I...I don't even call Rui 'Nii-san' or whatever, uh, well, uh, you, uh, you, that, I heard that you called me your little brother when I was, um, Nagarei, which is, um, fine and all, but, uh, but do...do you wanna hear the story of how Nagarei came to be?"