53 • Night Walk

"Marseille, mi amor amada mío." Reina cooed as she let the snake slither out of his enclosure to wrap himself around her shoulders. "I'm sorry for disappearing for days. Let's go on a walk, yeah?"

It took Reina exactly twenty hours and thirty-four minutes of sleep before she woke up, finding everything still dark. Of course, the first thing she did was take a quick shower, then go on a 'walk' with her beloved snake, who hissed more than happily at the invitation.

Was it recommended to parkour in her condition? Nope, and that was why Reina was walking even though she wanted to feel the wind against her face.

"My hair's really gettin' long, huh," she muttered, feeling Marseille brushing his head against the hair around her ears. "Don't really wanna cut it though. There's no point since I'm gonna out myself sooner or later anyway."

Of course, her feet brought her to the beach.

The water was cold, as expected of a winter night, but it didn't stop Reina from rolling her pants up and dipping her ankles in, letting saltwater splash over her injuries. The familiar sting felt comforting as Reina just stood there, letting the salty breeze blow her hair.

"You'll be proud of me, won't you, Victoire?" She asked the sea, a smile forming on her face. "I've finally decided to make my own path, one that's neither Hokkyokusei nor yours. A brand new path that doesn't rely on just what you've taught me but also what I've learned and will continue to learn." She wouldn't be the second Victoire Marseille or the hidden Hokusei Reina. She would simply be Reina. "This is...the empire you want me to create, right?"

The wind picked up, tousling her hair, and Reina took that as a cue to continue. "I haven't told anyone I'm leaving Hokkyokusei...too scared I'll suddenly back out. I'm kinda scared of how Harui will react." Of course, deep down, she knew that Harui would more than gladly let her go. Reina honestly didn't know whether she should be happy or pained by his willingness to get her out of Hokkyokusei. "Anggita and Akise won't have a choice, not really. Well, they do have a choice to stay with Harui or leave. But I hope they'll stay for Harui. I did, after all, find and recruit them for him." She snorted, chuckling to herself.

"Harui...I put him on the throne and strengthened the foundation." Reina didn't regret it, and she would likely never regret it. Harui was, after all, her brother. "He...he's an adult, isn't he? He's smart, debatable but still smart, and he's not sheltered anymore...he'll be fine, won't he?" She wouldn't regret her past decision, but she was getting tired of it. "Anggita and Akise will help him, won't they? I can...I can...he doesn't need me anymore, right?"

Reina never thought she would feel so much emotion over the realization that she had willingly let herself be used until she was no longer useful. Even though she should've known that she was nothing but someone Harui had used for his own survival, she didn't know what she was exactly feeling. Everything was mixing up together, from anger to sadness to betrayal, and even a bit of happiness and relief.

It was bittersweet.

Reina didn't think she felt any regret. Because regardless of what had happened, what was happening, and what would happen, Reina loved her siblings. She loved Harui and Mirai even if it was painful. They were her family, and they were tied together by something stronger than mere blood. To sever that would mean severing a part of herself. That was why even though she felt betrayed and hurt, she wouldn't feel regret.

The air shifted, but not in a natural way. Reina snapped her eyes open, narrowing them as she could hear the sound of crunching sand and heavy footsteps.

"Taking a dive in the middle of a winter night with those injuries...I can't decide if you're just monstrous or stupid."

"I don't want to hear that from someone who was about to kill his own siblings in a church on a Christmas night and then claim he's a hardcore believer."