At the End of it All

Another short, sad one. Sorry.

////

Ten.

Blood was pouring from his lips, he chokes on it and his body jerks. What was happening, where was his Bucky? His eyes scanned the area, trying to spot him, and his heart sank when he found himself alone.

Nine.

Maybe Fury would find him and bring his body back. Anyway, it wouldn't be the first time he died alone. His hands shook as they pressed down on the gaping wound in his chest, a hole practically blown through.

Eight.

His vision was starting to swim and he coughed again, more so hacked, the taste was so metallic he felt sick. He had no idea one person had so much blood in their system. It was gross and he couldn't remove the taste.

Seven.

Maybe he would be fine. After all, people had survived after much worse. 'Tis but a scratch, anyway. Maybe his system would surprise him and save his life.

Six.

Or not. He tried to fight to get up, but the pain overwhelmed him and he collapsed back down. His body was growing cold and he shuddered, reminded of old fears. He swallowed thickly and choked again. He really hated blood.

Five.

Wait, was that...? Bucky? Oh, no. Steve hears him shout his name and sees him sprint over. Bucky kneels beside him and Steve felt guilty when he saw the panic in Bucky's eyes and he knew there was nothing to do.

Four.

"Hold on for me, baby, just hold on," he faintly heard him beg and remembered he had been planning on proposing when he got back home. Steve doesn't answer. Well, he tries to, but chokes on either his words, or more blood. He couldn't quite tell.

Three.

He painfully pulls the ring from his pocket and grabs Bucky's hand as everything goes black. He knew he was still alive, but also knew his vision was gone for good. He feels for Bucky's ring finger, then shakily slides the ring on before his hand falls back down onto his chest.

Two.

He could force three words out, right?

"... love... you," Steve gasps and more blood leaks down. Two got the message across, right? He hoped so. He felt a wave of panic wash over him again. He was going to leave him alone... he knew Bucky hated being alone. He had hated it when Bucky had left him. He had a will written, at least, and he already knew everything was going to Bucky. Of course it was; he'd written it as a kid and didn't have anyone else, save for his mom. He hoped visiting her up in the clouds would suffice.

One.

"I love you so much," Bucky sobbed as Steve stilled. No, Bucky was sad, this wasn't good. Bucky shouldn't be sad. He prayed Bucky wouldn't do anything stupid and hopefully he'd go to Sam for help. He prayed Sam would help him, he prayed the team would be safe. He prayed the words that would hopefully get him to heaven, and he knew when it was Bucky's time, he'd meet him up there. Erskine would be there, his parents too, and the other soldiers and his friends. Everything would be okay.

His life timer struck zero, and it was the end of the line.

////

I was in a bad mood and in my defense, I wasn't going to publish it. But, friends will be friends, so here you guys go in case you hadn't gotten your fill of sad for the day.