Photographs

Steve was once again unable to sleep, and it was nearly twelve at night. Bucky had hid himself away in his room at five and Steve hadn't seen him since. He'd come to the tower with Steve, and they shared a floor, but they each had their own room. Bucky rarely left his, only occasionally to grab something to eat. Even then, that wasn't often.

Steve missed him. Sure, they still saw each other every now and then, talked a little, but Bucky was still trying to fix himself, and he figured he could do that without any help. So, Steve waited until he was needed.

The blonde leans back against the couch, his photo album resting on his lap. He opens it carefully, the pages crinkling with the movement. This book was very special to him. It contained all of the pictures he'd been able to find of Bucky, Peggy, the Howling Commandos and some newer photos of the Avengers. This was his book of memories.

The first photo was an old one, dated back from the 40's. Bucky stood in his army uniform, his hands formally behind his back but his hat tilted to the side and a teasing grin on his face. He looked happy. Steve remembered that night, he'd made sure to get a picture of his best friend the night before he left.

The next was the both of them, laughing at one of Bucky's jokes. The brunette was smiling over at Steve, his eyes alight. Steve in the photo leaned against Bucky's shoulder, his hand clutching his heart as he laughed.

Steve looks through the pictures quietly, smiling slightly. He remembered everything; Bucky laughing, all the Howling Commandos, everything.

Next came a faded picture of the Howling Commandos assembled in the bar, having a drink. They were smiling, some winking at the camera, some laughing. Bucky in the photo was grinning along, a mug of beer in hand. This was almost immediately after his capture.

Steve leans over his knees and rubs his face tiredly, surrounded by memories. He just wanted Bucky back.

He was almost halfway through his photo album when Bucky stepped out of his room.

The brunette pokes his head into the living room and quietly looks at the blonde. "Um, Steve?" He says quietly and Steve looks up, startled. He sure hadn't heard him get up.

"Hey, Buck. What're you doing up?" He asks, closing his album. Bucky looks down and shrugs a shoulder, considering going back into his room.

"I can't sleep," he sighs, deciding to shuffle over. He was wrapped up in his large comforter and his long hair stuck out every which way. He sits on the couch, the farthest end from Steve. It wasn't anything against Steve, he just couldn't stand contact, even accidental. "Figured I might as well stay up."

Steve nods, glancing down at the cover of the album. Then he gets an idea. "Hey, uh, do you want to look at some photos?" He offers and Bucky tilts his head a little, eyes flicking towards the album. Finally he nods and scooches closer, tensing up as he sits beside Steve. The blonde pretends not to notice.

He opens it to the front and Bucky studies the photo. He saw himself smiling back at him. He fiddles with his fingers. That was him. Or, it had been him.

"D'you remember? That was the night- "

"I was shipped out for England. We went on a date." He looks up at Steve, looking a little confused. "Who were the girls?"

"Bonnie and Connie. I think," Steve muses and Bucky looks back down at himself in the photo, subconsciously tugging at a strand of hair.

He carefully flips the page and Steve looks back down at the photo, though he'd seen it earlier. A hint of a smile crosses Bucky's face as he looks at it.

"I remember this," he says quietly, smiling softly as he looks at the pair of them in the photo. "It was your birthday. I told such a stupid joke," Bucky chuckles and Steve smiles, giving his head a small nod. The photo album seemed to be doing some good.

Together they go through his photo album, Bucky actually being a chatterbox about what he remembers for once. Steve just listens along, adding little facts that Bucky doesn't remember.

"That's Peggy, isn't it?" Bucky asks and Steve looks at the photo, sighing softly. She was in her army uniform, a small smile played on her red lips. She was looking at someone off-camera.

"That's Peggy, all right," Steve muses, looking at her picture. Of course he still missed her; he'd loved her. But, she'd gotten on with her life. He was just glad that she was given the option to live the life she wanted, even though it wasn't with him.

"You loved her, huh?" Bucky smiles, looking down at his lap. Steve nods his head.

"I did. You loved a gal, too, her name was Dolores," Steve recalls and Bucky frowns in confusion.

"I called her... Dot?"

Steve smiles and nods encouragingly. Then Bucky smiles himself and gives his head a shake.

"Listen to us, talkin' about our old gals." He snorts and Steve smiles. Bucky flips the page and pauses, studying it. The photo was again of him and Steve. He was in the clothes he'd been tortured in, and Steve was all done up in his Captain America gear. They stood together and Bucky leaned on Steve's shoulder and tried to smile for the camera. His smile didn't reach his eyes, though.

"I remember this," he mutters, staring down at them. He blows out a breath he didn't know he'd been holding and swallows. Steve quietly flips the page and Bucky was grateful. It was a fine photo, of course. He just hadn't been expecting it. Thankfully, the next one was charming. It was of the Avengers, all acting like goofballs. Bucky smiles at the photo, his eyes lighting up when he spots Steve laughing next to Clint and Tony. He loved seeing Steve happy, he missed it.

"You sure do have a nice crew, pal," he comments quietly as he flips the page. Steve fiddles with his hands.

"Well, we have a member missing. He's a great guy, just doesn't see it," Steve muses and Bucky listens quietly, occasionally glancing between Steve and the next photo. "He likes to keep to himself, and that's fine. It's just hard for him to accept help when he needs it," Steve says carefully and Bucky pauses, running his finger along the side of the page. He looks back up at Steve.

"Maybe he's doing it to protect people," Bucky defends, studying the photo of the Howling Commandos, set to go off and defend their freedom. "Maybe he's not ready."

"I know. That's what I keep reminding the rest of the crew. So we'll give him time. I hope he comes back. He's really important to me." Steve pauses, looking over at him. Bucky swallows and looks up with little difficulty.

"I don't know if I'm worth that much, Steve," Bucky laughs softly and Steve smiles.

"Yes, you are."

Bucky smiles shyly down at his lap, tapping his fingers lightly on the photo album. "Thank you," he says and Steve nods his head.

"I'll always be here if you need me," he promises and Bucky nods before getting to his feet.

"Thank you," he repeats and smiles at him. It was an actual smile, one that Steve had sorely missed. The blonde smiles back and Bucky heads back to bed, and eventually Steve does the same, leaving his photo album closed.

////

It took a really long time for Bucky to become... well, Bucky again. But it did happen, and slowly, he hung around the Avengers more, he spoke more, he laughed more. Steve was glad to have his friend back, and Bucky was glad to finally be okay.

////

This has been sitting finished in my drafts for a while so I figured I'd get it up.