Best Friend the Crossbar

Your POV:

I sat in my seat, Mike was here again. "It's my game buddy!" He said. "How you doing?"

"Good. How are you sir?"

"Fantastic." He said. "Told my daughter you were my game buddy. Didn't believe me."

I laughed. "Well how about a selfie?" I said.

"That's a great idea. My daughter did say "pics or it didn't happen" whatever that means." He pulled his phone out. We took a selfie and he sent it to his daughter.

The game started. Kelley was on the bench. Again.

Halftime rolled around. 0-0. Kelley stayed on the field with Amy and passed a ball around.

"I'm thinking ARod and O'Hara in for the 2nd half." Mike said. "What about you?"

"Jill wouldn't put Kelley in. ARod maybe but she's gonna use one of her 3 subs for Alex. Gotta get her some minutes. Abby too. That's 2 subs? Maybe ARod but not Kelley."

"Why?"

"She's listed as a defender. Our backline is solid right now. Midfield is pretty stacked too. And if Jill does put Alex and Abby in, we're fine up top." I shrugged. "What do I know? Not like I play for the team or anything."

Mike laughed. "I'm trusting you miss professional."

The 2nd half started. In the 58th minute, Amy got subbed in for Morgan. "Yeah Morgan!" Mike clapped.

The game continued but neither of the teams could score.

Sweden got a corner. "Oh no." Mike said. They took it but nothing came from it. It fell to one of the Sweden players who took the shot. Hope wasn't in a good position. We all stood up. Meghan jumped up and got a head on it, sending it off the crossbar.

"OH MY GOD!" Someone behind me. "SHE JUST FUCKING CLEARED IT OFF THE LINE!"

Everyone started screaming. Kling just saved us!

Jill then made another sub. Sydney out, Alex in.

"Ok so you are 2 for 3 right now." Mike said. "I'm believing everything you tell me from now on."

"I was born on Mars." I said while watching the game carefully.

"Yeah I believe it."

I laughed and shook my head.