Names

Your POV:

Practice ended and we all went home. I sat on my couch. Our group texted started again. "I'm an alternate." Sonnett texted.

"Me too." Sam added.

She's already calling the alternates? Who got the 18th spot?

"Who got the last roster spot?" Kelley texted.

"It's still open."

"HA there's one more roster spot but Sam and Em STILL couldn't make it" Kling sent.

I rolled my eyes and locked my phone.

1 more spot on the roster.

2 more spots as an alternate.

"I am an alternate." Ashlyn texted.

What the hell Jill. I sighed.

I'm not going.

Kelley's POV:

I held my phone in my hand. Waiting for Y/N to text that she made it.

There was 1 more spot as an alternate. No one knows who the 18th person on the roster is.

"Kelley sit down."

"I'm nervous ok! We leave next week for our last game before Rio and I don't know if my girlfriend is on the roster as the 18th player or an alternate! I'm nervous!"

"Kel. I'm sure she's on it and if she isn't, she'd want you to relax."

My phone lit up. The group text.

I'm an alternate.

"Pinoe is an alternate. MEGAN RAPINOE WHO HASN'T PLAY IN 8 MONTHS IS RIO BOUND!"

"As an alternate. Least she didn't make the actual roster that would've ended badly."

I rolled my eyes. "So now it's either she's on the roster or she's not."

"Who would she take over Y/N?"

I looked into the distance to give it a dramatic effect.

"Hinke."

Your POV:

Played for Chicago against Orlando. We won and I headed home. I got to my house. "Y/N!" My mom yelled. "What's wrong?"

"It's all for nothing." I sighed.

"What?"

"Jill hasn't called! Megan Rapinoe is going to Rio but I don't know if I am."

I went to my room and stared at the ceiling.

Worked this hard all these years for this moment and nothing.

All the sacrifices my family and I had to make so I could live my dreams.

I looked at the jerseys my mom's collected over the years. All my club teams.

The ball from my first cap.

The ball from my first goal. I walked over and looked at it.

Shannon Boxx 7

Abby Wambach 20

Then I saw it.

Lauren Holiday 12

I sat down at the end of my bed. "It can't end like this. Not after all the hard work."

Then I felt my phone buzz.

"Hello?"

"Y/N? Hi it's Jill."