Party

Your POV:

Everyone was getting ready for New Years. My cousin throws a big party every year, whole family shows up.

"What's Christen doing for New Years?" My mom asked.

"I don't know." I said.

"Have you talked to her lately?"

"We talked last night. Why are you so concerned about our relationship?"

"I just want to know what's going on in my kids lives." She said. "Sit down." We sat at the table. "I know Kelley hurt you. I want to know if you're with Christen because you actually like her, or just because you want to forget about Kelley?"

I looked at her. "I never saw myself being in a relationship with Kelley." I said honestly. "Always knew she was a player, even though she told me it was different with her, I found it hard to trust her."

"I understand that." She said. "That's how it was with your father. After he cheated the first time? I took him back but I couldn't trust him again. Look how that ended."

"You guys are civil though? No fights?"

"No. We realized that we didn't work out romantically, but we had 4 kids together. We had to kept our relationship civil for you guys, because 3 of those 4 kids were young. 2 our still under 18, 1 is ALMOST 18 and then you." She smiled. "We didn't work out romantically, but we're working out well as friends. I can call him when I need something fixed. He can call me if he needs help with Yvonne." I laughed.

"I always felt comfortable with Christen." I said. "From the minute I met her, I knew she was gonna be important in my life. She looked out for me when I started getting close with Kelley, was there was I needed a friend. I really like her mom. She isn't a rebound."

She nodded. "I believe you. When she was visiting I saw the way she looked at you, and the way you looked at her. I think she might be falling for you." She stood up. "Nice talk." She left.

I went up to my room and called Christen on Skype. "Hello beautiful." She smiled. "What's up?"

"What are you doing for New Years?"

"Probably staying home with the dogs." She said. "Why?"

"My cousins throw a big party every year. Tons of family, friends, good music, food. Everything is free."

"And?"

"And I miss you like hell." She laughed.

"Are you inviting me to this party?"

"I'm asking if we can be together for new years?" She thought about it.

"I'm in." She said. "I'll come for new years." She paused. "I'll come see you for new years. I'll- I'm hanging up." She sighed.

"See you soon. Can't wait till you come."

"SHUT UP!" She hung up.