Better Than Expected

Your POV:

"I'm confused." I said. "What does this mean for my future on this team?"

"We really want you to be involved in the growth of incoming youth. We want you to appear at camps when you can, speak at events, meet kids. Your future on this team is becoming a leader not only for the younger generations but, wearing that armband in the next few years."

"Let me just get this straight." I said. "I'm not getting fired?"

"Did you plan on getting fired?"

"I just thought I was. The whole article thing, discussing my future. Honestly thought I was done."

He shook his head. "Well, I apologize for making it seem that way. You are not being fired today, or anything like that. I actually plan on you being apart of this program for a long time. Hopefully, Jill feels the same way." 

I laughed. "Hopefully." I said. "Everyone will be relieved that I'm not being fired. That I'll be on of this tour thing."

"Yes. Actually, let's keep what we discussed today between us. No one knows of this campaign yet and I don't want any of the other players to feel left out. We will include more women in this project, we just want you to be the star." 

I nodded. "I get it. Plus I don't know how Sam or Sonnett's gonna feel knowing that you see me as a future captain."

He laughed. "Exactly." I stood up. "Well. It was a pleasure meeting with you today. We will be in touch." I shook his hand.

"I look forward to inspiring these kids." 

"As do I." He said.

"Wait." I said. "Can I tell them I didn't get fired."

"You can. I think it'd be weird if I did fire you, then you show up for the next game."

"True. But how do I tell them what happened that wasn't me getting fired?"

"That's a good question." He said. "Tell them I just wanted to meet you because of your amazing performance in Rio. Which by the way, was amazing."

"Thanks." I said.

"So just tell them that." 

I left and got in my car. "Holy shit." I said and called Kelley.

"BABE! SAM SAID KATRINA IS READY TO WAIT AT THE AIRPORT FOR YOU!" 

"No need." I said. "I didn't get fired." I said. "He just wanted to talk about my performance in Rio."

"Then what was up with that whole discuss your future thing?"

"He wants my future to include more performances like that." I said. "Kel. We're good. I'm gonna be on that tour."

"SAM TELL GORRY WE'RE GOOD!"

"GOT IT!" 

"So we'll see you at the game then."

"Yep. Can't wait to beat you guys." I said.

"Ha. Funny. You guys aren't beating us."

"Yes, yes we are." I said.

We hung up and I drove home.

Today went better than expected.