The Hard Work

Your POV:

After spending the evening with our grandparents, we drove back home.

"It's a school night. If you want to shower tonight do it. If not you better wake up early enough to shower in the morning."

"I have practice in the morning." Ethan said. "And I don't have class till 12."

"Right." My mom said. "Y/N what are you doing tomorrow?"

"What do you NEED me to do?"

"Can you drop them all off and pick them up?"

"Jason is picking me up." Ethan said. "But if my lovely sister can drop me off for class before 12 I'll be eternally grateful."

"Your wish is my command you little shit." He smiled and went upstairs. Gabe opened his mouth. "I'll drop you off but that's it." He shut his mouth. Chloe shrugged and went upstairs.

I sat on the couch next to my mom. "You father's coming over this weekend. It's his weekend with them." She turned to me. "What are you doing this weekend?"

"I think Press is coming to visit. If that's ok?"

"You're 22. I could say no but you'd do it anyway. Besides you spent time with your father over the summer." She got up. "I'm going to bed. Early day at the office. Lock the back door when you come up."

"Got it. Goodnight."

I logged into Netflix on the TV and watched Daredevil.

I watched 5 episodes of season 1, then locked the backdoor before heading upstairs. I looked some of my jerseys hung on the wall. The U-17s, U-20s, U-23s. My Santa Clara jersey, old club teams, my high school jersey, and my Red Stars jersey.

Looking at those brought a smile to my face. This is what I worked for all those years. I worked through the youth teams to finally be on the senior team. I played on all those club teams and through high school all the way to Santa Clara. Now I'm a professional.

All the years, all the missed birthdays, parties, school events. Looking back now?

It was worth it.