Happier {Christian McCaffrey/ Luke Kuechly}

Ain't nobody hurt you like I hurt you

But ain't nobody love you like I do

Promise that I will not take it personal, baby

If you're moving on with someone new

Happier- Ed Sheeran

"I don't want it to end this way either, sweetheart. But you deserve better so I'm letting you go in order for you to go find that," Christian whispered once we both were done with our screaming match.

"How is this fair, Christian? I traveled all the way from California to be with you! Because you wanted me here! I had to leave my family, my friends, and my school to be here with you. And you want to throw that all away."

"I'm not throwing it all away. I'm trying to give you the life you deserve, and I'm sorry that it is not with me," he looked at me with tears in his eyes.

I shook my head and went into his bedroom to gather all of the things that I have ever left here with him and almost let out a sob when I saw the pictures of us on his wall.

"Babe..." He sighed when I left his room.

"You don't get to call me that anymore. You know I have never been prouder of you than when you got drafted and I will always be proud of you, but after this I don't know if we could ever have a future together."

"Please don't. This is just temporarily, not permanently."

"Your future as a football player is totally secure and I know that you will do amazing, but your future in my life, not so much," I said before patting him on the shoulder and leaving the house, never planning on talking to him again.

8 months later

"Luke, you're home!" I squealed as I jumped into Luke's arms.

"Hey, baby. I missed you," I kissed him on the lips as I led him inside of my house.

"I missed you too! I thought that we could go out for dinner?"

"Actually, I wanted to talk to you about something, honey," I stared at him confused but nodded my head nonetheless. Luke pulled me down next to him on the couch and held my hands intertwined with his. "I know you said you are not really a football fan, but we've been dating for half a year now and I want you to come to my game, and I want you to meet my teammates."

I bit my lip as he stared into my eyes. I always told him that I didn't like football because I was aware that he played on the same team as my ex-boyfriend. I know that it is unfair to Luke, but I didn't want to hurt Luke the way that Christian hurt me.

"Actually, I would love that," the smile that lit up his whole made my whole decision a lot easier. He pulled me into a quick kiss as I sighed quietly at what could possibly happen next.

Two Weeks Later

I walked into the stadium in a Kuechly jersey, looking for Luke since he texted me to meet him before the game. I look up to Christian walking down the runway, in a panic I turn the other way and try to look for Luke as quick as possible.

"Y/N?" I hear and I almost cry.

I turn around and suddenly I am face to face with my ex-boyfriend.

"Christian," I say and look anywhere, but his eyes.

"I never expected to see you here, especially not in this jersey."

"Yeah, I was hoping to not see you at all," I said a bit harshly, but truthfully.

"So, I'm guessing you are not here to try and get back together," he jokes with me, causing me to roll my eyes.

"No, Christian, I can be desperate, but I'm not desperate enough to get back together with you."

"Can we just please talk like adults?" I nod my head and he leads me away from people. "What are you doing here?"

"I'm here to watch the game," I avoid his face and nervously scratch my arm.

"That's all?" He asked unsurely. 

"I'm dating Luke Kuechly."

"What the fuck do you mean?"

"I'm dating him, that's what the fuck I mean."

"But he's my teammate."

"I didn't really think about you when we first met. I don't really think about you at all anymore," I told him, finally meeting his eyes.

"I never meant to hurt you," He tried to justify himself.

"But you did! You wanted me to move here and then you left me with no friends and no family! I had to survive here on my own and I did and in the process I met Luke. I never meant to hurt you, but Luke became my family and my friend. I love him, Christian. I don't want to ruin this and I don't want you to ruin this."

"Please..."

"There you are, honey," I heard Luke's voice from behind us. I turned around and smiled at him in his uniform.

"Hi, baby! I was looking for you!" I exclaimed hugging him tightly.

"I see you met Christian," he said before fist bumping Christian.

"Yeah, we went to the same college," I told him truthfully, watching Christian watch me hold Luke the way I used to hold onto him.

"Oh, that's cool."

"Are you still going to show me around the stadium?" I asked, hugging his waist, not acknowledging Christian anymore.

"Yeah let's go baby," he took my hand and lead me the opposite way from Christian.

No matter how happy I was with Christian, Luke has become my home.

HOPE YOU ALL ENJOYED! KEEP READING. VOTE, FOLLOW, COMMENT, REQUEST ON THE REQUEST PAGE IF YOU WILL. HAVE A DREAMY DAY AND LIVE YOUR BEST LIFE < 3!