Part 28 ~ Keith wakes up

Odin looked at Tram, eyes filled with jealousy, he was not happy, he wanted to have the first female cub with Alma, he plotted the best ways to get revenge on that weak ram, he was gonna let him have it. Odin looked at his hatchlings and frowned, they should go out on their own, it would be detrimental to their survival if they did not leave on their own and fight for survival. He knew very well that most would probably end up in some beasts belly but that was not his problem. In this world you have to fight or die, there is nothing in between. He was not sure how he could discuss this with his mate. She would cry crocodiles tears and he could cave but he wanted those pest out. The little snakes knew their father was plotting something, they only had their mother to rely on but they knew it was only a matter of time before they had to fend for themselves, still they wanted to spend as much time with their mother as they could, even though it might not be in their best interest.

Tram only had eyes for his little lamb. He was not concerned though Alma had not fed her yet. It was very common for a cub not to get fed until the day after they were born. The sack kept them full in the womb so they would not be hungry after being born. He could not believe he was a father, it was what he had always wanted and thought he would never have. He knew he was not a strong beast and he probably never would be so he decided to put all his effort for healing. It was rather smart of him since females tended to only take in strong mates but they would take in a few weak ones and it was best to have something she would or could need. He had met a few females but had disliked all of them. He never thought he would meet someone like Alma, he was very lucky since even though he was one of the best healer here, there were other much better in the city and they would have jumped at the chance to help a female like her out. He smiled at his lovely lamb. He hoped she would be just like her mother, lovely and a kind female, he was sure Alma would bring her up to be a good beast, he was content with his life, he was blessed by the goddess.

The first one to spot that Keith was awake was Odin. Odin could not decide if he was happy or not that he was awake but he knew that they needed as much help as they could get to start getting ready for the move. Keith looked stunned at Tram and the little lamb in his arms. Keith was not happy and wanted to give Tram and Askell a beating for putting Alma in danger. He hinted he wanted to talk to them all far away from Alma's ears so Tram put his cub beside Alma. Alma immediately but her arms around her lamb and started to cuddle. His little lamb was content and happy so he left with the other males. Keith ripped Tram and Askell a new one and told them they would have to get punishment for their deeds. Tram was sheepish (i had too 🙈) and Askell could not look into Keiths eyes. Both of them knew they did wrong but they had not thought there could be horrible consequences for their actions. Fortunately they were able to hide her pregnancy from the village but it meant that the little snakes would not be able to go with them to the city. Odin was rather happy when Keith told them about it. Keith told them that Alma would be heartbroken to be separated from them since she had looked so much forward to being with them. Tram and Askell both had not thought of that either, if she would go to the city with the snakes and the lamb they would know how fertile she was and that would put her in so much danger. Odin agreed with Keith and told Keith it would be best if Keith told her about this. Odin did not want to have this conversation with Alma, he did not want to hurt her or make her feel angry at him for it, it is much better she will be angry with Keith, it is after all his idea, he thought to himself smiling.

Odin told Keith that Fannar knew rather early on that Alma was pregnant and told no one, he told him also that he had helped locating Tram when she was about to give birth and Askell told Keith that Fannar had flown all over the forest to try to locate him for the birth. Keith was angry, that stinking vulture knew what to do to weasel his way into the family. Keith was an honest beast and he knew Fannar had done more then enough to be invited in their family. He really disliked him but he knew Fannar was a strong and intelligent beast, he would make a good addition even though he was a pest. It was decided to let Fannar join the family, Odin was not happy about it but he knew that bird had value if not he could always just eat him. Keith was sure Alma would accept him if they all would tell her that they were in an agreement of it. They decided also that it was wise to held the competition and invite another strong beast to the family. They would let beast from the village too join even others since they had already honoured the agreement with the eagle pack. By accepting Fannar they had taken two beasts from their tribe.

When Alma woke up she had the lamb in her arms, it was only the ten of them on the bed. Her mates were nowhere in sight. It was very early about six in the morning, they normally would not leave the bed so early. She looked at her cute dumpling and thought they probably wanted her to be alone with her little cubs. She kissed the little lamb and told her she loved her. Her little baby snakes woke up and slithered towards her to get their snuggles too. She kissed them all and told them they were such beautiful little snakes. The little lamb woke up and started to bleat, Alma was quick to snuggle it and embrace it in her arms. She thought her little cub mush be hungry, just as she was going to feed her all her mates came rushing in, they surrounded her but giving Tram the best place so he could show her how best to feed the lamb. Alma was rather embarrassed and she was scared he would ask her to go on all fours so the lamb could feed, she was not going to do that. Alma had seen many mothers feed their babies so she decided to feed her just like they do and it worked. The lamb quickly sucked the nipple and was satisfied. For Alma this was very weird, the baby sucked so hard, it was rather painful but she endured, she was sure it would get easier, it was after all only her first time.
Odin was very envious of the lamb, he had been waiting along time to do that too, he thought to himself that the lamb better not drink all the milk he was going to taste it too. Tram was just about to cry, watching his mate feed their cub was the most beautiful thing he had ever seen. His heart was filled with love and devotion.

Alma had been too busy with the lamb to notice that Keith was in the room too. She glanced towards her mates and stopped seeing Keith. She started to cry and said is name out loud. She told him she had missed him so much and finally their family was full. Her heart was filled, she had all her mates and cubs, life could not get any better. The lamb fell asleep as soon as it was full. Odin told the baby snakes to leave since they needed to talk. Alma hugged and kissed Keith and told him and all the other how much she loved them. Keith told her he had missed her so much and he was going to pamper her to the heavens to show her how much she is loved. After a pleasant conversation with them all Keith turned serious and told her they had to talk. They left the room so the lamb could sleep. Keith told her that it was best to accept Fannar to the family. He had helped so much the it was deserved. Alma was very glad, she truly felt Fannar had done too much for them and she was happy to have him join, she really liked him and he would be good for the whole family. It was decided that Alma would ask him to join later on in the evening.

Alma looked at Keith and asked what else should we discuss. Keith told her that they had to let the snakes fend for themselves. Alma said no right away, they were too small to fend for themselves. Keith told her that here snakes fend for themselves as soon as they get out of their eggs. Keith told her that if they do not go out for themselves it probably would make them weaker as adult. Alma was sad and frightened, she wanted nothing but the best for her children but she really did not want to leave them. Keith told her it had to be done, Alma looked at Odin with hopeful eyes. Odin could barely bare to look at her and tell her it needed to be done. He told her small lies that they would be ok since they were after all his hatchlings. Alma felt a little better after that but still did not want to leave them. Odin and Keith held her hands and told her she needed to do what was best for them not her. With those words out Alma cried, she felt like a horrible mother, she thought her babies might die because she wanted to meet them, she loved them so much. She asked if she would ever see them again. Odin hesitated but told her she might, he could not lie since it could crush her down the line. Alma's heart felt heavy, she just had another cup and she would have to say goodbye to nine of her children, she felt so sad and such a horrible mother. She told them alright but she wanted to talk to them herself.

Her little red baby snakes slithered towards their mother, she asked them to all come to her lap. She told them they had to leave so they could grow up to be strong beasts. She started to cry again and told them she loved them with all her heart and she only wanted the best for them. Little snakes already knew this would happen, they just did not want to see her sad. They snuggled her to try to comfort her. She asked if they could come and see her when they were grown up. They all nodded their head yes, she told them, she could not wait to see how they looked when they were older, she told them she knew they would of course be the most handsome snakes in all the land she just wanted to be in their lives. She sang to them and filled their hearts with love. Tears of sadness rolled down her cheeks while she sang let's stay together.