Chapter 3: First Day as the New Daughter-in-law / Caretaker

Early the next morning Zimo was woken up when a thin old woman with a hunched back came into the room. Zimo had always been a light sleeper. He always had difficulty sleeping with others in the room with him. Yet, last night he was able to sleep well next to the man.

"Hurry up and wake up. Now that you are a part of this family, you will need to work. Don't think you can spend all day in bed ." Said the woman.

This woman was Zimo's mother-in-law. Although her words were a little harsh she spoke in a calm, clear voice. Zimo was not used to people speaking to him in this way. He looked at his new mother-in-law with some expectations.

"Maybe, just maybe I will have a decent life here?" Zimo thought

"From today on you will be responsible for caring for Erzi . From bathing him, to feeding everything is yours to do. He is your husband and you must care for him well. If he dies, so will you. I will teach how to do this just once, pay attention."

Mother Fu placed a bucket of water next to the bed and showed Zimo how to bath and clean Erzi . Then she passed the cloth to him and told him to quickly finish. While Zimo did that she would go and prepare breakfast.

Before she could leave Zimo quietly asked, "Mother-in-law? I'm sorry but, why doesn't my husband wake up?" Zimo could no longer hold back his curiosity and asked in a low voice that could barely be heard.

When mother Fu heard his question she had a look of astonishment on her face.

"You did not here from your family about Erzi's situation? Tell me now what have you heard?" Mother Fu asked.

Zimo thought hoping that maybe he could remember some of the previous owner's memories, but it seemed to be a blank.He lowered his head and honestly answered, "Nothing."

Mother Fu stared at the young boy in front of her doubtfully. "How could he know nothing, even the villager from the next three towns over knew about her son's accident. Did his family not tell him anything before marrying him off?"

Taking a closer look Mother Fu noticed Zimo's wedding dress. It was faded and clearly not the right size, and the box holding his dowry placed under the window was half broken with a slight mouldy smell emanating from it.

When her husband brought up the marriage proposal from the Zhang family she was doubtful. He had discussed this marriage while gambling with the Zhang family's second son which seemed dubious. However, her husband assured her that it would be fine.

Although Erzi never wanted her to arrange his marriage, now he was in a coma with little to no chance of waking up. They needed someone to care for him. She couldn't do it all herself, and they couldn't allow anyone else to do it. When her husband mentioned letting him marry a man, she thought things would be okay. Even if he woke up they could divorce from the man without regret or shame as he wouldn't be able to have children anyway, so naturally the other villagers would understand.

No one would fault their family for abandoning him. And if her son did not wake up, the boy could be his caretaker and devote his life to working for the family and her son. So, after some thought, she agreed to the marriage and met with the Zhang matriarch. She clearly explained the situation and after some discussion they agreed that because he was a man and the situation was in favour of the Yuan family, the price would be set at two silver.

Mother Fu thought that Zimo had been told about her son's situation and agreed to the marriage, but hearing Zimo speak she could not help but frown, she sat back down on the chair next to the bed and began to explain to Zimo about her son, his husband and what he would be expected to do now that he has become her daughter-in-law.