Chapter 46: Goat

After Zimo convinced LongWei to keep the little wolf pups, LongWei asked about the wolf.

"Baby, what happened with the wolf? Who killed it, and why did you approach it? Even if it looks dead, it's dangerous." LongWei lectured.

"I did." Zimo said without pause.

"... What do you mean you did?" LongWei questioned.

"Well I was working on the house foundation with my new shovel. When, suddenly, the wolf appeared behind me. There was no way to run, so when it jumped to attack I hit it in the throat with my shovel." Zimo explained as though it was an easy thing to do.

LongWei looked at Zimo. "Why is my little birdie so fierce? And why haven't I witness it yet?" LongWei thought. From the first time when Zimo fought the men on the ox cart to now. Zimo has demonstrated strong martial arts, but LongWei has yet to see it.

"Baby." LongWei said. He wanted to ask how Zimo knew how to fight a wolf. He wanted to know about his past. However LongWei was also afraid to ask. Zimo's heart was filled with ghosts, asking about them might hurt him. LongWei did not want to hurt him. He put his curiosity aside and hope that some day Zimo could tell him about it himself.

...

Zimo stayed inside the shed to care for the little wolf pups. While LongWei walked out to take care of the mother.

After stepping out of the shed. He soon found the Yan brothers.

"Hey, boss Yuan. You should have seen boss Zhang." Yan DanDan said running over.

"Did you see what happened?" LongWei asked.

"Yeah, we saw it all. We wanted to check on boss Zimo who was digging the foundation, when suddenly there was a wolf coming out of the forest."

"We were still far away, so we started yelling at Zimo to look out and run."

"Boss Yuan, does boss Zhang have a hard time hearing? We kinda noticed it b'forel but didn't think it was this bad." Yan Bo asked.

"Ah, he. An only hear out of his right ear. What happened next?" LongWei said.

The two brothers continued to tell the story of how Zimo stood his ground and with swift thrust of the shovel took down the wolf.

"Boss Yuan, it was really amazing. I never knew boss Zhang was so strong." Yan DanDan continued. By now many of the other workers had surrounding them giving their account of the situation and praising Zimo.

LongWei felt conflicted. He was happy Zimo was strong enough to kill the wolf, but he also hated himself for not being there. "I promised to protect my little birdie, yet when he really needs my help..." LongWei thought as he approached the dead wolf.

Looking at the wolf LongWei could see the neck wound. The head had almost been completely severed from the body. The stomach was cut open. Most likely from when Zimo pulled out the pups. There was also a large wound on the right left shoulder of the wolf.

This wound would have slowed it down by a lot. It would have been caused by the boar the night before. What LongWei couldn't understand was why the wolf had been abandoned. "If the pack comes back looking for the wolf, it will be a problem. I'll need to keep watch for awhile." LongWei thought.

The next big question was what to do with the wolf. The pelt looked thick and warm, but wolf meat wasn't the best. The workers had been diligent these days, "tonight everyone can have roasted wolf." LongWei said. He didn't want to waste the meat, but it wasn't something he wanted to eat a lot himself.

LongWei and two other guys worked to butcher the wolf. They carefully removed the fur to make a quilt or clothes for Zimo. When butchering the wolf, LongWei found the milk sacs full. He poured the milk in a bowl and brought it to Zimo. The wolf pups would need to eat.