Chapter 128: Long Night

Zimo's world fell silent and cold. He put all his strength into escaping from the reality around him and focusing only on the words LongWei said. "Trust me. I won't let anything happen to you." The words just filled his mind that hand become a black space.

It wasn't the first time he had disengaged from reality. He used to do it back at the orphanage. He wasn't good enough to close himself of from the world as he was being beaten or hurt. Nevertheless, there were many nights when being able to make the world around himself silent was useful.

He wasn't the only child who would be beaten or hurt int he orphanage. At night, many children would cry. Some woke up after having nightmares.

He was an orphan after being abandoned as a baby. He never knew his parents. The only life he knew was the one in the orphanage. Some of the other kids were different. They lost their families after an accident.

One little boy even witnessed his father kill his mother in front of him before killing himself. This was shocking and left a traumatic mark on the boys mind. The boy slept next to Zimo in the orphanage and often screamed and shouted in his sleep throughout the night. The only way Zimo could manage any rest was to block out all other distractions.

Using the skill he honed in the past Zimo sat perfectly still in the cold yard. Eyes closed and mind focused only on LongWei's words. Not even aware of the time passing by. "LongWei, my dear husband. He will protect me. Nothing is going to happen..." Zimo continued to repeat in his mind like self hypnosis, or a prayer.

...

Leaving Zimo's side was difficult for LongWei. He wished he could stay with his little birdie. To run off back to their home in the mountain where Zimo could smile and relax.

Even so, now was not the time to hesitate. They needed to work hard and fast if they wanted to put out the fire and save the villagers.

"LongWei, I don't see any of the Yun family outside. They might be still asleep inside or worse trapped." Old man Li said when LongWei approached. The Yun family see the owners of the house that was currently ablaze.

LongWei took a breath, ripped a part of his robe off, and tied it over his mouth after wetting it in the snow. "How many are there?" LongWei asked as he prepared to enter the house.

Old man Li also tied a cloth over his face. "The family has seven people. The old patriarch has been bed ridden for two years. His two sons and their wives also live here. The eldest son has a five year old son, and three year old daughter." Old man Li explained.

With an idea on how many people might be trapped inside, LongWei entered the yard and approached the house.

Bang!

Suddenly a man and women burst out of the front door coughing from the thick smoke.

Old man Li and LongWei ran forward to help them. Old man Li recognized the two as the youngest son and his wife.

LongWei left the two to old man Li and headed inside the house. The heat hit him hard. Visibility was almost non-existent because of the thick smoke.

Lowering his body, LongWei quickly made his way to the bedrooms. They were easy to find considering most houses in this village and the surrounding ones were built the same.

As he moved forward, a sudden cracking sound caught his attention. He turned in the direction he heard it and saw a door that was blocked by a thick piece of wood. The piece must have fallen from above and landed in front of the door.

LongWei pushed the piece of wood away and from inside the room came a large man, woman, and two children.

Seeing LongWei the man patted him on the shoulder as thanks before taking his wife and kids out towards the door. They couldn't speak because of the smoke in the room.