Chapter 90: Traps

When LongWei returned from the kitchen he directed everyone to follow him outside to start working. He plan was to first teach the men how to build each type of trap.

He started with the simple trench or pit trap. Taking out the iron shovel Zimo had old man Li make him he quickly duo up a pit and a trench.

"Is that an iron shovel? It works great." Kong Huizhong commented as he admired LongWei's fast work.

"Hm. Zimo had it custom made by old man Li." LongWei boast3 with pride. Since LongWei was taller than Zimo it was longer, bigger and heavier than the one Zimo used.

"Eh!? Zimo designed the shovel. I thought he was just good with food." Xu Qingsheng said in shock.

"My Zimo is amazing. He designed several tools we use here, the log house and the heating system inside, the recipes I cook, even the traps we will be making. They are all thanks to his brilliant mind." LongWei continued to praise Zimo. If he had said these to Zimo, Zimo would have denied all credit. They were after all things he remembered from the other world. Even so, LongWei would take any opportunity to flaunt his little birdie's greatness where Zimo couldn't see.

The men started thinking about Zimo in a different way again. They never liked the scholars because they would recite poems or lecture them about useless things. Zimo on the other hand seemed to make things that were relevant and useful.

"Once the pit is built, the next part is simple. These thick bamboo poles have smaller spikes shoved inside. Place the larger bamboo inside like this, and bury it so only the smaller spikes are visible. Make sure you pack the sil tight, if it shifts the trap would fail." LongWei continued as he demonstrated how to set the pit and trench traps.

They were essentially the same. The difference was the round pits would be knee deep with thicker and longer spikes, while the trench was a row of thinner spikes that stood even with the grounds surface.

Once it was set they needed to transplant some grass or cover it with dead tree branches and leaves. Seeing the final result, Xu Qingsheng said, "to be honest, if I came across either of these traps I don't know if I could avoid them." The others all nodded honestly.

Next we're the trigger traps. These wee much more dangerous and complicated. After demonstrating how to make the first one, LongWei used a long bamboo pole to push the trip wire gently.

Swish... thunk

In the blink of an eye, a bamboo pole swing from the side and smashed down against the ground.

Gulp...

Everyone stared at the final result. The trap triggered so quickly and fiercely it would have been instant death.

"Damn, that's nasty." Yi lei said dumbfounded.

...

Next Zimo gave each of the men a set of materials and asked them to make each type of trap. As they were doing this he went inside to check on Zimo.

Zimo lay in with a cold sweat and furrowed brow.

"Baby, wake up." LongWei said as he shook Zimo awake.

Waking up from the nightmare Zimo was feeling vulnerable. Recently he hadn't had any nightmares, but the mornings events and his fever seemed to trigger one from his school days.

Zimo dreamt of the time he was bullied at school for being the strange, quiet kid. They would push him and tease him. It wasn't pleasant.

"Baby, did you have another nightmare?" LongWei asked as pulled Zimo into his arms.