Chapter 97: Adrenaline

The next morning, LongWei took Kong Huizhong, Yi Lei, and Xu Qingsheng back into the forest to continue setting traps.

Zimo, Chang Shaoqing, and Tan Yan stayed in the yard to prepare materials for the traps. Chang S(sowing volunteered to stay because he could help Zimo cook dinner. As for Tan Yan, he was thrilled to stay. It meant he could watch the little tiger cub.

After everyone was sent off. Zimo and the other men prepared to work on the bamboo. They had a lot to do if they wanted to keep up with the other group who was setting up the traps.

"Hey Zimo, what are we going to have for dinner tonight?l Chang a Shaoqing asked.

"We have a lot of deer meat. I was thinking of making it deer stew." Zimo admitted. He didn't have many recipes for red meat like deer.

"Stew huh, that's something we've had before, but I'm sure yours will be much better. When you want to prepare it, I'll cook for you." Chang Shaoqing said.

"Hm, the longer it cooks the thicker and tastier it will be. At noon we can start to prepare." Zimo decided a slo cook would work well. They had previously salted the meat so it would last longer. After a few days this way it became much saltier, lending its,elf well to stews, or soups.

...

LongWei and Kong Huizhong stood by the stream with dark faces. They had found trances or someone in the forest. These people didn't attempt to hide their appearance either leaving behind signs of a fire from when they camped by the stream at night.

"Could it be hunters from the surrounding villages?" Kong Huizhong asked.

"It's not impossible, but the closest village is located far from this area. If they are hunters, they would stay in the north and closer to the base of the mountain.  This far south is dangerous. The locals avoid this area because the forest becomes increasingly dangerous." LongWei explained as he marked out the areas on their map.

"This isn't good, they seem to be moving faster than we expected." Kong Huizhong said with a heavy mood.

"Should we continue setting the traps or track them down and kill 'em?" Xu Qingsheng asked.

"Obviously kill 'em." Yi Lei said without giving it much thought.

"I agree with Yi Lei. They've already made it this close to the house. We need to clear them out. The final decision, however is your to make Yuan LongWei." Kong Huizhong stated.

"Track them down and kill them quick." LongWei easily gave the order. He would show no mercy to anyone who put his little birdie at risk.

LongWei and the others quickly went to work finding the bandits. Unfortunately, they were a day too late.

...

Zimo, Tan Yan, and Chang Shaoqing ran out of bamboo to process so they decided to get some more. The bamboo forest wasn't far from the house. About a thirty minute walk east. They hadn't set up any traps in the area yet. Deciding to leave it for last because it was a frequently travelled road while making the traps.

Zimo was a little far from the other two. When suddenly Chu faced the darkness and started to growl viciously.

Zimo out the machete down and grabbed his trusty shovel. He bent down low and looked around the sea on guard. The wolves only growled when they sensed a threat.

Grrr...

Zimo patted Chu and signalled for him to be quiet. As he scanned the area.

Swoosh...

An arrow flew by missing Zimo by a small margin. Zimo's body froze. An arrow meant the threat was human. If the enemy was an animal Zimo was confident. But after years of abuse, his body naturally curled up in fear when facing a person.