Chapter 74: Thank You for Loving Me

The harvest season had passed as Zimo and LongWei prepared their mountain home for winter.

"Dear, I think their are a lot of things we need to prepare before winter." Zimo said as he stared at an inventory list he had made of their storage cellar.

When they last visited town they purchased a lot of food and grain for cheap, however feeding over fifteen grown men who were doing heavy labour for nearly half a month had drained it almost all away.

"I'm thinking of going hunting in the forest a few times to accumulating a large amount of meat for both selling and smoking for our own use." LongWei said tentatively. He was still unsure if Zimo would be okay spending with him leaving for an extended period of time without having another panic attack.

"Wouldn't it  be better to go deeper. The last time you did you were  able to catch a boar and deer. If you can get something similar, we could by a lot of new rice, vegetables, and other essential goods. I was looking through our clothes and we don't have many thick outfits or quilts. It's not easy doing laundry in winter, the more we have the less often we need to wash them." Zimo said.

"Spending a few days and travelling deeper would held a better harvest. However, baby will you be okay at home without me?" LongWei said with concern.

Hearing LongWei's words he wanted to claim it wouldn't be a problem immediately, but seeing the concern in LongWei's eyes. He couldn't help but recall what happened the last time he was left alone in the house with the ondol heating. Losing the confidence to tell LongWei it would be okay. Zimo didn't answer for awhile.

"I don't know. I don't think I will go as crazy as I did before. But I'm not confident I won't have nightmares at night." Zimo said feeling disheartened. He wished he didn't have so many fears and insecurities. If he didn't would LongWei worry less and be happier.

Observing Zimo's mood fall, LongWei quickly said, "baby, it's okay. Even if you would be okay, I don't like being separating from you. I could barely endure it last time."

Zimo felt a little better after LongWei's attempt to cheer him up. However he was still worried. They needed to buy a lot, which meant they needed money.

"Dear, would you be willing to take me with you?" Zimo asked experimentally. He had thought about it before, but his body wasn't really the healthiest, so he axed the idea before.

"Baby, it will be cold and sleeping outside isn't easy on the body." LongWei said as he prepared to reject the idea.

"I know, but if we go together. Even if we move slower because of my health, we can also stay out longer because we will be together." Zimo persuaded.

"Baby, that's..."

"If I start to feel sick or can't handle it we can turn back at anytime. Then you can go out again by yourself and I will never bring it up again." Zimo concluded with a slight glimmer of hope shinning in his big eyes.

LongWei wanted to reject it immediately. Hunting was not easy and it was dangerous. Naturally LongWei wouldn't allow Zimo to get hurt or be wronged in anyway by choice. However listening to Zimo's argument the reluctance to agree softened.

"You need to listen obediently, if I say run you run. If I decide you can't handle the stress or I notice you getting sick even just a little we turn back immediately no questions asked." LongWei said as he stared at Zimo with a stern face.

Hearing LongWei agree, Zimo nodded his head like a little woodpecker.
...

In preparation for their hunting trip, LongWei spent time cooking buns. Some had meat, some had vegetables, and some were a mix. They would need to eat dry foods only while camping, so LongWei wanted to bring some variety. They also packed some dried fruit and nuts for energy.

For weapons, Zimo naturally didn't know how to use a sword, spear, or bow and arrow. However he was confident in using the iron shovel and if needed a dagger. Sadly daggers weren't useful against animals, and if Zimo's opponent was a person he would fail to even have the courage to think about fighting.

After a day of preparation, Zimo and LongWei went to sleep very early. They had planned to wake up and leave at dawn the next day.

"Dear, are you still awake?" Zimo whispered.

"Awake." LongWei answered.

"I'm sorry for being so useless and weak all the time. I want to change, but it might take a little longer." Zimo muttered quietly.

"Baby, don't change. I like you as you are. You're fears, your body that falls sick because of a summer storm, you're unique perspective, your stubbornness, your determination, all of you." LongWei whispered as he rubbed Zimo's back.

Listening to LongWei's words Zimo started to cry. As he cried into LongWei's chest, he muttered. "Thank you for loving me." Before falling asleep.

...