Chapter 104: Business

With only a few copper coins on hand Zimo and LongWei retrieved their mule cart from the restaurant. Owner Han Fengge was kind enough to let them leave it there while they went shopping.

"Will you be returning to town soon?" Han Fengge asked.

"It's difficult to say. We intend to spend the winter at home on the mountain. Having prepared everything, unless there is an emergency we shouldn't need to come back until spring." LongWei explained.

"I see, we have the recipe for the fish sauce, getting more is simple. The Sichuan peppers, however, are a different problem." Han Fengge hinted.

LongWei caught the hint and thought about the possibilities. "The weather is getting colder. Before the end of the month we will most likely have snow on the mountain. If it's a short day trip it should be possible, but Zimo might struggle in that path."

After thinking, LongWei finally answered Han Fengge. "Have someone meet us at Jianggu Village in five days. I can meet him there with a larger amount of Sichuan spice, enough that you shouldn't need more until the spring." LongWei suggested.

"Thank you. I appreciate the effort." Han Fengge said.

"Um, may I ask you for some help?" Zimo interrupted.

"What is it?" Han Fengge asked looking at Zimo curiously. LongWei also looked at him not knowing what he wanted.

"We'll rather than the money, is it possible to bring something different? I can also give you some more fish sauce. The process to make more takes a long time after all." Zimo asked.

"That isn't a problem, in the event the exchange is of equal value." Han Fengge said.

"I wonder if you know of a way to get a large amount of ginger?" Zimo asked. He had found a fair amount in the mountains, but he also ate a lot. To keep himself from catching a cold, and during the time he was nauseous he went through a lot of their supply.

"We can, do you want to exchange the full price for ginger?" Han Fengge asked. Unsure Zimo looked at LongWei.

"Although we can gather it on the mountain, we do use a lot." LongWei thought before saying, "If you can, a direct exchange between for ginger would be ideal."

"Very well, I hope you can also give us another two jars of fish sauce, and three bags of Sichuan pepper." Han Fengge said.

"Three bags of Sichuan pepper? That is too much for what your using it for." Zimo said suspiciously.

"Don't misunderstand. I intend to keep my end of the contract. I simply expect the store to do well with the new soup this winter. I believe in the philosophy of having more when you don't need it, than not having any when you need it." Han Fengge quickly clarified.

"I understand, but that poses us a problem. The season to gather the Sichuan pepper has passed and we didn't prepare so much. We can give you another bag. It should be enough to last until mid spring if used for the recipe we gave you. More than that would mean we do not have enough for our own use." LongWei explained sounding regretful.

Zimo was surprised by LongWei's lie. Nonetheless, he didn't say anything. He trusted LongWei had a reason to lie.

"I see, that is a shame. Then, I look forward to receiving the one bag and will be careful to use it sparingly." Han Fengge said with his usual smile.

...

After leaving the restaurant, Zimo finally turned to LongWei and asked why he lied.

"Han Fengge has been very generous, but we can't forget that he is a successful businessman. It never hurts to be cautious." LongWei explained.