• Painful Distance •

"Tu yaha bahar kyun so raha hain?" Savitri gently nudged her son who was sleeping in a disorganized position on the floor.

Sameer jerked his head at his mother, staring at her blankly until she repeated her question a bit loudly.

He laggardly raised his fallen frame, rubbing his groggy eyes with the back of his palms, trying to get comfortable with the scorching sunlight peeking at him from the main door.

Savitri stood there with an uneasy expression, wondering why her son slept in the living room instead of sleeping inside his room.

Sameer blinked gently, contemplating a good reason to lie to his mother about him sleeping outside his bedroom.

"Bata?" Savitri asked him again in worry.

"Actually andar macchar bahut kaant rahe the kal raat I don't know why, toh maine socha kaha Naina ki neend disturb karu isliye chup chap bahar living room me sone aa gaya," Sameer answered the anxious lady with a normal expression, but he knew his mother wasn't satisfied even a little bit.

Naina walked out of their bedroom with dullness on her face, glancing at her mother-in-law and husband, a prompt rush of nervousness climbing up on her visage as she could feel Savitri peering at her suspiciously.

"Good Morning Naina." Sameer was quick to wish his wife with a sweet smile, and she twirled her gaze at him, replying - "Good Morning."

"Tumhari neend kharab na ho isliye main yaha aake so gaya chup chap." He said as casually as he could, and she slightly nodded her head, realizing that her husband wanted them to behave normally in front of his mother.

"Wahi main sochu tum itni jaldi aaj office chale gaye kya." Naina replied to him gently, forcing a smile to appear on her pink dry lips.

Sameer shook his head a little, standing on his feet to approach their room and get ready for the office.

If he would stay here longer his mother would surely spy on him and his wife.

Savitri dubiously glanced at her son until he disappeared in the room, and her eyes turned to notice Naina uneasily fiddling with her fingers.

"Sach me tum dono ke beech sab theek haina?" Her concerned-filled voice rang in Naina's ears, and she half-heartedly dipped her head to the side, smiling gently to look normal.

Savitri let out a deep sigh, making her way to the kitchen to prepare for breakfast. Meanwhile, Naina wondered if she should go back to her man and talk to him or help her mother-in-law with cooking the food. Choosing the latter option, she trudged to the left side, picking up selected vegetables from the basket to wash them under running water. Savitri could see Naina's disoriented countenance while chopping off capsicum and carrot, her eyes paying no attention to the lethal weapon gripped in her palm.

"Ouch." Naina shrieked in pain when she accidentally ran the sharp edge below the tip of her finger, and Savitri quickly rushed to her daughter-in-law, staring at her wounded skin in utter dismay.

"Naina, tumhara dhyan kahan tha?" She queried in a disappointed tone, washing her injured portion as carefully as she could, later applying a thick paste of turmeric which had been known as its best home remedy to heal the bruises and prevent infections.

Naina mumbled a quick "Thank You" to her mother-in-law for dressing her wounded skin with the best possible desi paste and a soft bandage rolled over it to make sure she didn't hurt herself again on the already untouchable-painful area. Savitri shoots a glare at her clumsy daughter-in-law before informing her sternly - "Tum dono bhale mujhe mat batao par mujhe dikh raha hain ki tumhare aur sameer ke beech me zaroor koyi jhagda ya behesbaazi hui hai, isliye tumhara chehra bhi itna utra hua hai."