(GN) Ch. 82 - A Horrible Life

Kiera POV

As I gazed upon the old pack house deep within the rainforest, its imposing presence loomed like a shadow against the verdant landscape. The black towers rose ominously against swaying foliage, casting eerie shadows that danced in the moonlight.

A sense of confusion swept over me as I stood there, taking in the sight before me. How was I in the South, at my old territory, when I distinctly remembered falling asleep on the top bunk of the barracks in the North?

"My daughter!" A sweet, motherly voice spoke around me. I spun with urgency, a deep need to meet my mother, pulling me towards her.

A beautiful woman with long blonde hair and light blue eyes stood before me. She appeared almost transparent but remained solid.

"Are you my mother?" I asked with a shaky breath. I knew how absurd that must have sounded.

"I am the mother to all my children." She said in a haunting voice.

"Of course." I gave her a small smile, a sense of rejection striking me.

"You are filled with so much frustration, daughter." Her eyes shimmered black at me, making my eyebrows scrunch in confusion. Did this dream ghost have the darkness too?

"I'm at a bit of a crossroads in my life. I know what I need to do, but I'm afraid it might bring harm to others."

"You're afraid of making a mistake." She looked deep into my eyes, the blue of her irises shining with a bright white light around them.

"A mistake that can cost others their lives, yes."

"What is your name?"

"Kiera, Luna of the Nightmare pack in the South. We are currently in the North, but I know we must return home."

The woman moved to me, her feet gliding over the grass. "You're filled with so much light, child. You must leave the North before it consumes all your gifts."

"Gifts?" I don't recall having any gifts other than being blessed with a strong wolf.

The woman's pale, almost translucent hands came to my cheek. A chilling coldness freezing my face. "You're wolf's name?" The woman asked.

"Athena," I answered almost automatically, like she commanded me.

"My greatest warrior. It's nice to meet you again, Athena. Protect my daughter, all my daughters." The woman's eyes seemed to glow again.

"Warrior? Was my wolf once bound to another?"

"No, never bound until you. Your lavender eyes tell me she made the right choice too."

"Athena chose me?" That I couldn't get on board with.

"Yes, she saw what I see. A child destined for great sorrow, betrayal, and heartache, but a woman that will endure. You possess a strong will, which a warrior requires to become all she is meant to be."

"I don't feel very strong; honestly, I feel helpless, useless most of the time."

The woman chuckled at me. "You are still so young. Don't carry the weight yourself, and allow mistakes to be made. No one is perfect, Kiera. Let Athena guide you, and you'll see your true potential."