(GN) - Ch. 114 - Despair

Kiera POV

"What are we going to do?" Elizabeth practically shouted. She has been a mess since we returned from our little encounter with Lupa. I wished I had a plan or some spark of hope to suggest, but I couldn't think of anything.

"Honestly, I have no idea. I'm not killing anyone, though," I affirmed firmly. The mere thought of losing any of the brothers was unimaginable, let alone it being my doing that ended them.

"Dietus lives within the brothers. It has to be their second wolf, Zeus," Elizabeth said, her voice deep in thought as she recalled Lupa's words. "Maybe you can expel just that part of them," she suggested, desperation evident in her tone.

"I think if that were possible, Lupa would have told me already. Dietus waited until the boys were sixteen before he merged with them. He purposely linked himself to me to ensure his survival. He probably hoped we would all mark each other too," I explained, my voice heavy with resignation.

"He definitely wanted you pregnant. This son of yours, Sebastian, have you heard of this before?" Elizabeth's question carried a mix of concern and curiosity, prompting me to finally reveal the truth.

"Yes, I don't know why we chose the name Sebastian, but sometimes when I sleep, it feels like I'm moving through time or something," I confessed reluctantly, knowing I couldn't hide the reality of my dreams any longer.

"Oh no, she's driving you mad too," Elizabeth remarked, her worry deepening, thinking I was headed down the same path as the triplet's mother.

"No, it's not a trick. It's some kind of magic. In my dreams, I've glimpsed the future—the triplets and myself, marked and with children. Sebastian, I've met him before in those dreams. He was older than me; pure evil seemed to emanate from him. I knew I had to kill him, and even though it was just a dream, it tore me apart. I can't bear the thought of being with the brothers, knowing that one day I might have to watch my child die," I explained, tears welling up in my eyes as I spoke, my hand tenderly caressing Ruby as we delved into the inevitable truth.

Ruby's cheeks were flushed with color, and her smile radiated warmth that could melt anyone's heart. Though she still carried a part of the forest within her, her light seemed to shine even brighter now. "I won't let anything harm you, sweet girl," I promised in a hushed whisper, my voice filled with determination.

"Kiera, we can't avoid this. Everything points to the brothers having to die for the world to survive. Dreams or walking through time, whatever strange magic you possess, it all seems to confirm this," Elizabeth insisted, her tone heavy with resignation.

"All it confirms is that we can't be together. Let's find Becky and Andy and fill them in on our little adventure. We need to make real plans," I suggested, looking sadly at Elizabeth, silently urging her to drop the conversation for now.

I understood the importance of unraveling the truth, but the weight of the impending decision was too much to bear at that moment. I couldn't bring myself to admit that I might have to choose between the lives of every living soul and the brothers. It was a burden too heavy to confront just yet.

"My northern soldiers are all here," Elizabeth remarked, scanning the bustling dining hall filled with laughter and chatter among both North and South pack members. It was a rare moment of uplift amid our despair.

"They have to be here somewhere," I replied, scanning the room once more before deciding to leave. Andy and Becky seemed to have disappeared.

"Why would they be hiding? Something feels off," Elizabeth voiced her concern, her tone laced with worry.

"They are among our most loyal, and I won't make the mistake of distrusting them again. I'm sure they are just relaxing somewhere," I reassured her, though a flicker of doubt nagged at the back of my mind. They were gone for two days scouting the Green Forest pack. What if Jackson got his claws in them?