Ch. 59 - Brothers

Chase POV

I swayed my way into my brother's office with a sigh. I was tired of everyone doubting me, and definitely didn't like playing babysitter to a feral wolf.

"Redecorating?" I smugly asked, briskly walking to one his non dismantle chairs.

"Get out!" River roared out, grabbing multiple books in his hand and chucking them at the window. It didn't even scratch the glass, which enraged him more. River then ripped an entire bookshelf from the wall and hurled it at the window.

"I think the place looks better like this. Want to talk now?"

"I said..." River turned his black eyes on me, stalking my way with nothing but death in his eyes. "Get out!"

"We've known each other since we were born, probably even before that. We both know I'm not going anywhere. Let's skip the whole 'I'm the toughest Alpha' act of this play and cut right to what happened with Kiera."

River grunted at me, searching my eyes to gauge that, despite my playful demeanor, I wasn't in the mood to fight for dominance.

"I told her to fuck off. Now get out," he spoke more calmly, gathering pieces of wood and throwing them into a small trash can. I don't think that was going to help much.

"You know I felt you two together. Is this outburst guilt because you think you betrayed Elizabeth?"

River darkly chuckled. "Elizabeth." He let out a sigh after speaking her name. "No, it isn't guilt about betraying her."

"It's part of it. Remember, I can feel you, big brother." I smiled at him, and he shot me an annoyed look, his eyes like storm clouds on the verge of unleashing a violent storm.

River walked to the window, shoulders slouched, gazing out with a poignant expression as if searching for solace in the distant horizon, the room's silence now filled with the unspoken weight of emotions.

"I should feel guilty. Not a single part of me feels like I betrayed Lizzy, but I should."

"Kiera is our fated. Elizabeth knows this and it is why she left."

"I'm aware of what happened, Chase." He grunted.

"Then what has you breaking anything made of wood?"

He clenched his jaw, eyes diverting to the side to see the destruction he caused in his office. "I told Kiera it meant nothing, just a good fuck and for her to get out of my face. She looked to me with absolute disgust etched across her face."

I shook my head. "You're an asshole." I laughed at him.

"This isn't funny."

"No, it is not. Kiera is fucking strong willed and as righteous as your dick face. You will need to do some serious graveling to ever have her in your arms again."

"I don't want her!" He spat out.

"Liar, liar... pants on fire, dear brother."

"Go away, Chase." River let out a long breath and I felt the despair weighing on him.

I thought for a moment, reaching to him and how he felt. A whirlwind of confusion, conflicting emotions, and inner turmoil residing within him.

"You remember Anastasia?" I asked.

"She is our sister, of course I do."

"Kiera reminds me of her. Those purple eyes and fire that burned so fiercely inside them."

"She was the oldest of us all, a disgrace in dad's eyes and what made mom distance herself from us." He sighed at our miserable childhood. "She was unruly and needed to be punished." River imitated our father's voice.