(GN) Ch. 97 - Hurt

River POV

'I think Athena is running away.' Chase casually said in our mind link, and it sent my wolf into a frenzy.

'She doesn't leave!' Roared through my brothers' head.

'Elaborate asshole." Drake said to Chase, both of them ignoring my mental breakdown about to turn homicidal.

'She woke up crying. I think a bad dream. She said she had to leave, then Athena took over and raced out of the medical ward. Plus side, Dr. Hazel said she seems to be in perfect health.'

'You won't be once I get my hands on you.' I growled at him. I immediately linked my head warriors and told them to be prepared to drag Kiera home. She wasn't ever leaving.

'She won't leave on her own. Let her have some space, and we can watch the barracks for now. She will come back for her people.' Drake said, but I wasn't listening.

The fact she was out there, moving further and further away from me, was making my blood pressure rise through the roof.

"What is wrong?" Elizabeth asked, her hand coming to my arm.

"Athena took off. She won't leave!" I snarled at her.

"Ok, I'll help you find her, but River, we must handle this without force."

"I will chain her down if she dares to leave my territory. She is mine!"

Elizabeth took a step back, fear racing through her eyes. "River, calm down. You don't want to hurt Kiera." She spoke evenly but with caution. I was set to explode, and she knew it.

I stood there for at least five minutes, just growling and staring her down. She knew not to move and definitely never run from a predator when he had you in his sight. We enjoyed the chase too much to resist hunting our prey down.

"I'm not your enemy, and I won't stand in your way, River. I'm trying to help you keep Kiera from leaving."

"Why would you? You want her dead." I stepped to her, yelling in her face.

"I don't; I swear I wouldn't hurt her. Kiera is also my Luna, and I owe her my life."

"You ever harm her, lay one finger..." My head leaned back with a howl. I didn't want to threaten Lizzy; everything inside me was boiling over.

"I would never harm Kiera." She repeated softly, her hands raised in submission.

"I'm sorry. Fuck!" The palms of my hands pounded on my head. I was losing control! "Fuck! Fuck! Fuck!" I shouted.

"Hey, it's ok. I'm not afraid of you, and I know deep down you don't want to hurt me. It's ok, River." Lizzy came to my side, her hands resting on my bicep. I didn't want to hurt her, but I didn't want her in my way, either. It was fucked up, and I was losing my mind over all of this.

"It's not ok, Lizzy. You should leave." I spoke, not able to meet her eyes.

"I'll go if that is best, but I won't be far if you need me, ok." Her voice was so calming, so sweet, and everything about her was always for me.

"No, I mean leave for good. I'm losing control, and I don't know if I'll hurt you or not. A part of me does, and it scares the crap out of me that I could do that to you." I turned my head slowly, my shameful eyes meeting her tear-filled ones. "I'm so sorry. I know I'm fucked up. I don't trust myself with you, Lizzy."

"River I..." her mouth stayed open, words completely lost to her.

"I want you, I do, but I won't choose you over Kiera. Even if I reject her, I'll still want her. It's not fair to drag you along like I have all these years."