Ch. 34 - World Unknown

Kiera POV

The guard guided me with a gentle pull to follow her. I wanted to rip out Chase's eyes, but I barely had enough strength to walk.

The woman, her brown hair tightly secured in a bun, peered at me with warm yet slightly annoyed chestnut eyes. "We'll freshen you up before heading to the medic. He's got some tricks up his sleeve to speed up healing," she said with a reassuring smile. Despite her kindness, a nagging instinct warned me against trusting her, keeping me silent to respond.

"Shower quickly and put this on." The guard shoved a blue cotton dress into my hands, then directed me towards a row of showers. The space resembled a vast bathhouse, each stall separated by curtains, creating an atmosphere of shared vulnerability.

The water's warmth gave me a brief moment of relief. When the soap touched my open wounds, a sharp burn made me hiss involuntarily. I persevered, scrubbing my body to rid it of the dirt and sins accumulated in the past 24 hours.

The haunting image of Devon standing there, his heart cradled in a stranger's hand, pierced through my thoughts like a relentless dagger of despair. I couldn't feel anything but an abyss of sorrow for my friend. In his attempt to rescue me, he found himself sacrificed.

My trembling fingers, stretched long in front of me, seemed to carry the weight of Devon's death, a burden that churned my stomach with disgust. I couldn't escape the guilt, wondering if his mate and child also paid the price for my actions. The desperate need to find Tracy consumed me.

Turning my arm to expose the tightly wrapped silver on my wrist, I let the light play on its surface. In that glint of metal, I saw not strength, not hope, but a stark reminder of my own perceived worthlessness. I felt utterly powerless to help anyone.

"You alive in there?" The guard called out.

I wiped away the tears, my voice weak with a crackle as I responded, "Yeah, I'm just about done." Shaking my head, I couldn't comprehend why or how I was still alive. The haunting question lingered; What was the purpose of my survival while others died?

Turning off the shower, I took a moment to breathe in deeply. The weight of continuing on felt unbearable. Opening my eyes, I leaned my head back, only to find the showers filling with other prisoners, each one carrying the weight of their own fears and uncertainties. The air echoed with whimpers, a symphony of shared dread for what awaited us next.

Reaching inside, I sought Athena's guidance. Desperation filled me as I yearned for her voice, urging me to pull myself together because, frankly, I doubted I can do it on my own.

"Come on Luna of the South. Your time is up." The guard called out again.

Stepping out of the shower, I slipped the blue-grey sweater dress over my head. My arms cracked with aching protest, the pain seeping deep into my bones. The fabric, though soft like silk against my skin, possessed a thickness and gentle fluffiness that brought a touch of comfort amid the discomfort.

"What is this?" I asked the guard, confusion etching my expression. We had no need for something so warm in the South.

"Cashmere. Only the best for those in Alpha Chase's service," she replied, offering me an unamused smile. Her nonchalant attitude about all this spiked my anger again.

"Do you think we deserve this? Do you honestly believe this is right to do to people just because of where we live?" I spat out the words with a surge of anger, frustration bleeding into every syllable, my voice a mix of disbelief and indignation.

"It doesn't matter what I think. The Alphas rule the North, and no one dares to disobey them. I suggest you find a way to hold your tongue, before you don't have one anymore." Her eyes conveyed annoyance, a subtle disregard for my opinions, and I nodded my head in reluctant acknowledgment.