Ch. 44 - Athena

Kiera POV

'That was amazing, Kiera. We need to have those boys again, and soon." Athena was still rolling around inside me. I felt completely renewed, inside and out. I also loved how she saw two large Alphas as boys. She was absolutely crazy, and she was finally with me again.

'We need to be careful, Athena.' My voice had a hint of fear, which Athena knew exactly why. I closed my eyes as I walked down toward the forest, taking in the calm and relief I currently felt. For months I was in pure despair, praying my life would just end. Now, I felt truly alive, truly whole.

'They are strong and give us strength. I want to run with them.' Athena started jumping around, it felt like butterflies in my stomach how she radiated so much excitement.

'Maybe another day. They aren't our fated and we are both aware what happens if we get too attached, and then they meet their soul mate.' My body shivered as I continued walking into the forest. I didn't want to think of Jackson. I felt like I just got my life back and remembering the horror he put me through would only drag me down again.

'I don't know everything.' Athena calmed in my soul, and I felt her regret inside me.

'It wasn't your fault, or mine.' I said as confidently as I could. It was true, neither of us knew what evil resided inside the man I once loved. We couldn't blame ourselves for his betrayal, but we could make him pay for it.

'The silver made me feel like I was drowning. I couldn't see through you, or lend you my strength. I think there was more to that bracelet than we know. When you were at your worst, emotions deep in despair, I caught glimpses. I tried, Kiera. I tried with everything I had to be there with you.'

I gripped my chest in pain. Athena was never sad before. I never felt her so strong like I did right now, and everything she felt was deep sorrow for not being there when I needed her most, but she was wrong.

'You were there for me. I felt you pushing to me, and you gave me strength when I needed it most. Athena, we are one. I know that more than ever now.' My words, spoken through tears, echoed the realization that Athena and I were inseparable. No longer did I feel a divide between us; we were and always will be one soul.

'Finally, you understand.' I heard both the pain and light laughter in her words, marking a profound moment of our connection.

I sat beside a tree, gazing over a vast lake with a distant waterfall. The cold air surrounded me, too chilly for just a shirt, but I welcomed the discomfort. Freedom enveloped me, and the breathtaking views of the North were my solace.

'I need you like I need my heart to pump blood or lungs to breathe air. No man or pack will divide me from you again. I'm so sorry I didn't trust you more, Athena.' My words carried the weight of sincerity as I confessed to the essence that was both within and beside me.

'Jackson wasn't your fault, Kiera. I didn't see the evil he truly possessed either. I thought him below us, but never saw him as someone that could harm us. When are we killing him!'

I chuckled to myself. Athena was determined. My eyes roamed over the snow-covered mountains, admiring how different yet gorgeous this territory was.

'We can't kill him.'

'Our boys can!'

'Athena!' I scolded her. 'We are not convincing Drake and Chase to kill our husband.'

'Don't ever call him that!' She demanded of me.

I didn't say anything back because she was right. Jackson wasn't our husband anymore. He never really was to begin with. He was nothing but a puppet master. I needed to cut every tie I had to him for good.