(GN) - Ch. 125 - Off Balance

Drake POV

"Where the fuck is he?" I shouted, throwing Chase's covers to the side.

"Where do you think?" River grumbled as he rubbed his eyes.

"We don't have time for his games."

"Chase is a game," River mumbled, standing and stretching his legs.

I saw my bag was wide open and clothes spilled everywhere. I instantly knew it was Chase that went through my things. He was a slob and had no respect. He couldn't even wake us before sneaking off to find Kiera.

As I threw my bag back together, I felt a wave of serenity wash over me. I had no other word than that, Serenity. "He is with her," I growled.

"Of course he is. We need to find our brother and handcuff him to us." River stated.

I closed my eyes and let the happiness radiating from my brother consume me. Whatever was happening between him and Kiera, I don't think my brother had ever felt so complete before.

"We should find a bedroom to settle into," I said, grabbing my bag and heading into the hallway.

"We need to find Chase," River demanded.

"He is happy, River... and so is she." That is all I had to say for him to understand. River felt it too and neither of us were destroying that.

"This is a waste of time. We should be home, defending our territory and finding a plan to defeat Dietus for good."

"We will give in to him, and you know that. We can't defeat him anyway; only Kiera can." I spoke with a tired tone, and I heard my brother's grumbling growls behind me. He didn't argue, though. He knew it was the truth. We might be the strongest Alphas, but we weren't gods.

With heavy steps, we navigated our way through the old pack house, its rustic charm a stark contrast to the grandeur of our own castle. Despite its humble appearance, there was something comforting about its familiarity.

After settling into a room with two beds, our stomachs grumbled in protest, reminding us of our need for sustenance. We exchanged a tired glance before acknowledging the inevitable: it was time to find food.

Walking into the kitchen, we smelled Kiera and Chase everywhere. We must have just missed them. We ate silently, enjoying the warm sun shining through the windows while drowning in our mate's scent. The chance for a future we all wanted was right at our fingertips, but none of us knew how to grab it without a bomb going off.

"I don't hate her," River's words shattered the silence.

"I know, brother. But a little kindness wouldn't hurt," I replied, hoping to ease the tension.

"What good would that do?" he countered, his frustration evident.

"No more arguing. I'm exhausted, River. Let's just finish this so we can finally move on," I urged, my weariness palpable.

"You mean die," he retorted bluntly, his words echoing the grim reality before us.

"If that's what it takes. Are you suggesting you won't sacrifice yourself for the world's peace?" I challenged River, knowing his reluctance to admit the truth aloud.

River clenched his jaw, his silence speaking volumes. I understood my brothers and their unwavering determination to do whatever was necessary, not just for our pack but for her.

"Alphas," Maggie's voice interrupted, accompanied by two nurses and three babies. My anger flared at their unexpected presence.

"What are they doing here?" I demanded, my tone sharp.