(GN) Ch. 81 - A Future

Kiera POV

"Are you sure we can trust him?" Andy asked as Chase ran out.

"No, but something draws me to him." I fixated my gaze on the doorway he had just left. He was so tall and so damn handsome. Everything between the brothers and I have been insane, though. I can't just blindly trust them.

"Drawn? Sounds scandalous!" Becky bumped her hip into mine, knocking me out of my daydream of Alpha Chase.

"It's not." I wavered my hand like the idea of me being scandalous was crazy. "The Dark Forest has some kind of hold over us, all of us." I looked down at Ruby. She was so tiny and innocent. She didn't deserve to be born an orphan or to have this so-called darkness in her.

"So, what's the plan, Luna?" Andy asked, standing tall and eagerly awaiting me to speak.

"First, we need to get supplies into the barracks for the babies."

"I can take care of that." Nurse Beth offered. "There are a few I trust from the hospital that can help too."

"Perfect, thank you!" I gave her an appreciative smile. "Becky, can you and Sandra go with Maggie to the kitchen, Chase's kitchen only, and start stocking up perishables?"

"We are on it. Plus, we are werewolves; if needed, we can hunt our own food as we travel." Becky offered it as an idea, and it wasn't a bad one. We can't possibly take enough food for all of us, not to mention it might cause alarm with Drake and River if we steal all their food.

"Becky, I want you in charge of head counts. You know our people. Assign a few group leaders to help you. I want everyone to be updated on any changes as well."

"I can handle that." She nodded to me.

"Andy." I turned to my Delta.

"At your command." He said with a wistful smile. He really was a good friend and loyal pack member.

"You're now officially head Delta, and I need you to fulfill some Beta duties until I can announce..." I had to pause, swallowing hard as an image of my best friend's heart beat in another man's hand. I didn't want a new Beta; I wanted Devon. I wanted him here with his wife and child to help us make this right.

I cleared my throat, and sympathetic eyes met mine. They all knew I was heartbroken because they all were too. "You need to plan a route from here to home that would best suit us to travel on foot." I looked down to Ruby, "and with babies. We need checkpoints, rest stops, and places of high risk to avoid."

"I'll head to the library now and start mapping it out. We are all here for you." He gave me a reassuring nod. Our eyes locked to share a brief moment of a shared loss for Devon and the future worries ahead.

"The rest of you, I just need you to attend training and help our people prepare. This silly bet with Chase to be head warrior ends in two days, but we will need more time before we can leave. Drake and River aren't happy about this plan and may even try to stop me. I need you to be ready to leave when it's time, even if it's last minute."

"Yes, Luna." They all responded together.

"Ok, let's get moving then. I'll do a status check with Maggie, Becky, and Andy, so make sure you report to one of them any progress. Tomorrow morning we train at 6, so be prepared. Dismissed."

They all began chatting, contemplating what this new adventure would be like. They all sounded hopeful, but I was worried. I can't lose anyone else.

"I'll feed Ruby, then bring them back once I've set up a room for them." Nurse Beth came to take her from my arms.