Ch. 33 - Northerner Prisoners

Chase POV

My brothers and I arrived home early in the morning, just before our second troops. The three of us were exhausted from wielding the power Zeus lent us, and still a little spooked by the ghost we encountered.

Though unspoken, the absence of Kiera hung heavily among us. I needed to know she was at least safe, but the harsh reality was she was likely with her degrading husband, perhaps plotting our demise.

We played rock-paper-scissors to determine who would handle the sorting of our prisoners, and, unsurprisingly, I lost. I was not in the mood for the mayhem that came with ungrateful prisoners.

River grinned at me as he took Elizabeth in his arms, leading her towards a long bath, while Drake sought peace in his private cottage out back. As for me, I embarked on the daunting task of managing thousands of women and children, likely scared out of their minds.

As I approached the throne room, a divine scent enveloped me, nearly knocking me off balance. I knew instantly who it was and nearly leaped out of my skin in joy.

Kiera was close, and an urgent need to see her washed over me. I wanted to hold her, to let her embrace me and wash away my fears and worries, like a mother would comfort her child. Life would be so much simpler without that damn prophecy hanging over our heads.

I needed to recall the memory of her lying on the floor as her husband callously shot me with an arrow, reigniting my anger toward her. The image seared into my mind, fueling the flames of resentment.

She needed to be punished for the unforgivable, and then she needed to be locked away for good. I cannot, under any circumstances, coddle her. She is the enemy! A damn sexy and beautiful enemy, but still our enemy.

Loki whined inside me, desperate for me to give in to our mate, but I couldn't allow it. I pushed open the doors, inhaling a long, deep breath of her scent, and then I steeled my emotions. Drake was the only one who knew how to turn off his heart completely, though.

One of my head guards, tasked with organizing the sorting of our prisoners, approached me. She went on and on about the different groups she assigned, but I ignored her. With Kiera being so close, there was only one thing on my mind.

I growled deep in my chest when I couldn't find her. I used my heightened senses to locate her, but it only intensified my desire for her. That damn pixie had some potent magic.

I strode to the side of the room and finally found my goddess, bent on her knees with arms and head to the floor as if in worship.

A triumphant smile cracked on my lips. The knowledge that I couldn't mark her lingered like a heavy secret, and I was taking the fact that I almost did to my grave.

"What is this?" I looked down at her, my gaze brimming with restrained excitement. Then a plan formed in my mind. First, I'd torture her, then play with her body, and perhaps, after a prolonged while, I'd discard of her.

Despite sensing her pain, I knew she was one of the strongest wolves I had ever encountered, and that was with the stupid bracelet her husband had placed on her.

Anticipation surged within me as I looked forward to revealing my punishments to her. I knew the bond between us needed to be shattered though. I shouldn't even indulge in the erotic thoughts I had of her, but I couldn't help myself. I rejected her, feeling it snap in two, yet I still sensed her presence. It was a feeble connection, but one that stubbornly persisted.

I licked my lips greedily as her body slowly lifted, leaning back on her feet, then her head rose, and blond hair full of dirt and grime fell off her face. Her eyes, a faded purple, were drained of life, and her face bore the brutal marks of cuts and bruises.