(GN) Ch. 165 - Return to the North

River POV

My insides filled with anxiety as we drew closer and closer to our home. The familiar surroundings should have brought comfort, but instead, my heart pounded with a mix of anticipation and dread.

I was waiting for any sign of Zeus or the darkness to bubble inside me, praying I never felt their influence again. The remnants of their power, which had once consumed my brothers and me, were constantly pushed down by Kiera's light.

Her mark had saved us, renewing our souls and making us more than we ever were before. We couldn't merge our power anymore, nor did we attempt to call on Zeus. Thankfully, we no longer sensed his presence. We remained powerful Alphas, just no longer as unstoppable as we once were.

Besides the lingering threat of Dietus, the thought of seeing Elizabeth again made my insides churn uncomfortably. This was truly our final farewell. Elizabeth had told Chase she wished to explore the islands off the coast of the South, claiming that a change of scenery was exactly what she needed. She confided in Kiera that she wanted to search for her second-chance mate, but I knew the truth; she wanted to find Katherine. Elizabeth didn't know how to be anything other than loyal. If any danger threatened her Alphas and Luna, she would seek it out and eliminate it without hesitation.

Katherine was weak now, perhaps even dead after losing Dietus' power, but she was cunning. The southern oceans held mysterious creatures, some mythical, some real. The waters were known to swallow people whole, deterring many from venturing far. I feared Lizzy might never return from this little adventure of hers, but I also had no way to stop her. The pain of possibly never speaking to my friend again weighed heavily on me.

"We are almost there. Are you all okay?" Kiera asked, her voice tinged with hope as she glanced back at us.

"I don't know. I feel a bit..." Chase scrunched his face like he was in pain, holding Sebastian closer to his chest with a look of concern.

"What?" Kiera shouted, her body beginning to tremble with worry.

"He feels stupid," Drake interjected, smacking Chase hard upside the head. Half my lips quirked up as I turned my gaze back out the window. Those two never got along, yet they were constantly at each other's side.

"That hurt!" Chase scowled, rubbing his head. "No abusing me while I'm holding our son."

"Wait, what?" Kiera looked at Chase suspiciously.

"He was messing with you, doll. We are fine. Dietus is gone for good." Drake said, his tone annoyed but reassuring.

"You jerk." Kiera smacked Chase, which made me chuckle, and then she took Sebastian into her arms. "Give me my son, you creep," she scolded.

"I was just messing around, Cherie," Chase whined, trying to win back her favor.

"Well, it wasn't funny. You know how sensitive I am about all this. Sebastian can't be tortured by that demon."

"No one will harm our son," Drake swore, and I nodded in agreement.

"I'm sorry, baby. It was a bad joke," Chase admitted, his tone sincere. Kiera instantly softened to him. She got mad often but never for long.

"Don't do it again, not with Dietus," she demanded of him, and he nodded to her with an ashamed look. Sometimes, my little brother didn't know any better, but he was learning from our mate.

"Finally!" I sighed as the car came to a stop. It had been a long, cramped ride with my brothers, mate, and son. Chase was mostly the issue because he never shut up.

"We are home, baby boy. North and South are both yours, and one day, you'll rule them fairly," Kiera said, stepping from the car and showing Sebastian all her surroundings.