(GN) Ch. 138 - Fading

River POV

'Mate!' Chaos demanded in my head, his body ramming my insides with all his strength to the point I felt dizzy.

'We will search every inch of this world for her.' I growled at my wolf, but he growled right back at me.

'I will kill us if you lose her! Mark my word, River, you will cease to exist if any harm comes to our mate because of your weakness.' He warned me, then continued to rattle my insides in a fit of rage that Kiera was gone.

"You don't look well, brother." Drake sat beside me.

"She has completely faded from us," I said wearily. At first, Kiera seemed to be moving further and further away, but now, she was gone.

"She is alive." Chase slammed a book down to the table. "She is fine, and we will have her at our side again," Loki growled in pain.

"I hope so. Chaos will take over and throw us off a cliff if Kiera is harmed." I said, my fingers massaging my temples.

"We won't let that happen. Not to you or our mate." Drake spoke with confidence, but I knew it was empty. He feared she was killed or being tortured just as I did.

"How are we supposed to find her in these damn books." Chase kicked the chair from the table, slamming it into the wall. His eyes were black as night, permanently stuck half-shifted since Kiera disappeared from us.

"She is being hidden in the South," Elizabeth spoke, picking up the broken chair. "Our Luna isn't far."

"Can you sense her?" Drake tilted his head at Lizzy.

"Yes, I can't explain it. I just know she is close."

"Did you pledge to her?" I asked, unsure how I felt about her leaving our pack to join Kiera's. Although soon we would all be one.

"My loyalty, yes. But I think it's that I've accepted Kiera as my Luna, and so have you three." She said.

"Hmm, our little pixie has all our hearts." Chase smiled with deep sadness in his eyes.

"If you can sense she is close, can you find her?" I asked, hopeful, knowing it was impossible, though. I was her mate and could sense her better than anyone else.

"No, it's like her blessings are covering us; her power is near, but her actual soul is far away... oh no!" Elizabeth shouted, covering her mouth with her hand.

"What?" I shouted back to her.

"I think she is being suppressed. If Katherine brought her to Jackson, he probably imprisoned her with silver again."

"Fuck!" Anger boiled inside me, and I was unable to think of what that rat was doing to my mate.

"It would explain why she seems so faded."

"But we felt her last night. She was strong and close to us." Chase said.

We woke in the middle of the night after all three of us passed out in the library with drool pooling on the table. We gathered our soldiers and ran through the forest, trying to pinpoint her location, but it suddenly faded.

"They must have removed it and then placed it back on her. I'm sure she told them how it almost killed her last time." Lizzy added.

"Makes sense why she fades in and out." Drake shook his head.

"You feel that?" I gripped my chest, claws digging into my skin like I could rip her out from my heart.

"The silver has been removed." Chase grinned, tossing a book to the side and running to the training grounds.

"We have to find her before it's too late," I growled to Drake.

"We combine our powers. It will give us a stronger sense of her location. If she fades out again, we will make camp there and wait for her soul to return to us. We will bring her home, brother." Drake placed his hand on my shoulder.

"We won't fail our mate," I affirmed. Drake nodded to me and stepped back.

"I will have camping gear arranged. We head out in twenty minutes." Drake said as he left.

I let out a long breath, closing my eyes to let the bond with Kiera fill me. If we had marked her already, then we could find her instantly. We shouldn't even be able to sense her since she rejected us, but our souls were intertwined in such a way that nothing could fully separate us.

"You are happy, River," Lizzy spoke sweetly. My eyes opened, and I saw how she watched me.

"I'm fucking furious," I growled.

"I know. I meant with Kiera as your mate. You've accepted her."

I swallowed hard. "Yes, I have. I can't be without her, Lizzy. I'm sorry." Guilt riddled my body, but I didn't have time to sulk in it. I had to find Kiera.

"Stop apologizing to me. I'm happy for you. I truly am. Let's go get find your mate." She smiled at me, and I knew she meant every word. It pained me to think our relationship would never be the same. Kiera was all I needed in life, but Elizabeth would always be my best friend, even if one day we wouldn't know one another anymore.